Quartz rocks with something

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what this might be. Jewelry stores in my area cant tell me anything and they say a acid test is not positive test. And mark test is not either so do I just through it back and forget about it. The people that supposed to know tell me that there is no precious metal found around my area. So I guess home test are not telling people any test they can believe either. This is a great site and any advice is welcome Thank you. Todays find 015.JPG

You could try a local college at the geology class. You will get a lot of answers here but unless item is in hand it could be I.D.ed wrong.

Upvote 0
Having said that in my opinion it's Mica.

Upvote 0
Had a acid test performed 18 kt and they said it held up very well to that test but at the time they did not have any 24 KT testing solution. Did mark test at home ruled out Mica and pyrite. Thanks.

Upvote 0
well,I dont care who you are,no one can look at that picture and tell you if thats gold or not....I dont think it is,but I try not to make my statements on "think".

I did a thread on comparing pictures of gold and pis of pyrite and its damn tough to tell...even for those that know

Upvote 0
Gold doesn't come out of the ground pure 24 K. If it passes an 18K test, that's a good start. Does it still shine like gold in the shade. Mica and Pyrite both requires light to shine like gold. Mica is very light weight. Crush up some of your sample so that's it's very fine, then pan it. Mica will float away and gold will stay in the crease of the pan. You don't have to do this with a lot of test sample. A small amount and swirl the water very easily, the gold will stay while the rest will wash away. If you have a source of strong nitric acid, the acid will eat the rock and leave the gold. But just looking at photos of shiny metal is very hard to tell. Many photos posted of gold jewelry, the gold color doesn't come through in the photo, and on the other hand, some silver comes through the color of gold in the posted picture. Myself, if the sample shines in the shade, and if I had the acid I'd crush some and use acid to test, if no acid, then I'd crush and pan. If you decide to use acid, be sure to wear rubber gloves and have goggles or safety glasses on. Safety first, acid isn't something to play with if you don't know what you are doing. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks Kuger. I know picture is not very good and know that it is almost impossible for anyone to tell by a picture. I am learning and getting some good info. That is what I like about T.NET.

Upvote 0
.....I like your enthusiasm,and greatfulness....keep after it,and just because gold was never discovered in your area doesnt mean its not there :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
.....I like your enthusiasm,and greatfulness....keep after it,and just because gold was never discovered in your area doesnt mean its not there :thumbsup:

That is right Kuger. Thinking about taking a rock or two to a refinery about a 2 hour drive just to see what it is.

Upvote 0
Gold is where you find it, those rocks could have been re-deposited to where you got them, from another location (flood,ice age glacier).

Upvote 0
Thanks BosnMate for the reply and knowledge. Yes it still has a shine in shade and I have nitric acid for testing silver but no acid to test for gold so will the silver acid work on gold too? Did a color mark test and it came out yellow and had a shine to it and there were a lot of little pieces of gold looking stuff in the color mark too and is that normal?

Upvote 0
Im not a gold miner , im sure Kuger can tell me if Im correct or not .
I would think it would be easy to tell by crushing some with a hammer on a block of iron/steel , Pyrite shatters, Gold is very malleable. Not sure what mica acts like but Im pretty sure its nothing like gold.

Upvote 0
Thanks BosnMate for the reply and knowledge. Yes it still has a shine in shade and I have nitric acid for testing silver but no acid to test for gold so will the silver acid work on gold too? Did a color mark test and it came out yellow and had a shine to it and there were a lot of little pieces of gold looking stuff in the color mark too and is that normal?
Yeah, if the acid isn't eating the gold, that's a good thing. I think I'd crush some up like G Freeman said, and see what it does in a gold pan. You know the old saying, "if it quacks like a duck?"

Upvote 0
Im not a gold miner , im sure Kuger can tell me if Im correct or not .
I would think it would be easy to tell by crushing some with a hammer on a block of iron/steel , Pyrite shatters, Gold is very malleable. Not sure what mica acts like but Im pretty sure its nothing like gold.
...yep,quickest and best way in my honest opinion :thumbsup:.........your right more than I too........

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back