121.5 KB · Views: 431
  • DCP03108.JPG
    DCP03108.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 415
Re: Bottle King

That is sharp!!! :thumbsup:

Re: Bottle King

Harry Pristis said:
What do you want to know about your pumpkinseed flask?

thats a screw top, ur bottle is not old.

unclenutsy said:
Whats the seam of the neck look like? If it goes all the way to the top its most likely a reproduction like Wheaton or something.
Glad to find some bottle-collectors here.

My pocket flask? hmmmm. It's about 110 years old, give or take a few years. Notice the slight purpling of the glass compared with the flask on the right.

The BIM ground-lip finish was around for a while before that. Cecil Munsey in his book, THE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO COLLECTING BOTTLES, doesn't pay much attention to these pumpkinseed flasks; but, he does figure a couple of milk glass figural pocket flasks on pp. 129. Both have screw tops. One of those, the Klondyke Whiskey bottle, he dates to 1860-65. I have one of those Klondyke Whiskey flasks with the pewter screw cap -- it's lip finish is much like the pumpkinseed flask.
pumpkinseedpair.jpgpumpkinseedgroundlip.jpg
[size=14pt]I am more interested in earlier bottles, but these flasks are attractive and easy to display. I have a something from most categories of bottles, and pumpkinseed flasks have a shelf in my collection. Here's a half-pint pocket flask with no base -- no tell-tale bottle line in a pocket. I have seen one of these with a bitters label on it.

flasklucitestand.jpg
-------Harry Pristis

unclenutsy said:
Whats the seam of the neck look like? If it goes all the way to the top its most likely a reproduction like Wheaton or something.
its not IBM.

ink-a-alot said:
unclenutsy said:
its not IBM.
Right on! This bottle is not IBM, but it is BIM (Blown in a Mold) . . . all these bottles that are not ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine) products are blown in a mold. After my pumpkinseed was blown and cracked off and annealed, the sharp edge was ground for safety and for a seal inside a screw cap.

Here's an image of a couple of quarter-pint pumpkinseed flasks on my shelf.

pumpkinseedsmallpair.jpg

First off...Nice bottles Harry. I really like the screw top with the ground lip because its so different..As for Ink-Alots flask.... He asked in the first post -How old it was- and thought it may be A.B.M because of the lip but I have been wrong before.;D Dug a few strapsides a while back and but traded em for something I collect and really wish I could dig a Local Embossed Flask because they bring good money or trades around here. Gonna break some frost Saturday and its suppose to be around 40 so I got a privy lined up and will post some pics...Happy Digging

unclenutsy said:
First off...Nice bottles Harry. I really like the screw top with the ground lip because its so different..As for Ink-Alots flask.... He asked in the first post -How old it was- and thought it may be A.B.M because of the lip but I have been wrong before.;D Dug a few strapsides a while back and but traded em for something I collect and really wish I could dig a Local Embossed Flask because they bring good money or trades around here. Gonna break some frost Saturday and its suppose to be around 40 so I got a privy lined up and will post some pics...Happy Digging
Thanks, 'uncle' -- glad you like the bottles.

I do see that 'inks' did get more specific with his question. All these flasks date from the 1880s to about 1910, or so.

I think that the use of attractive and novelty flasks for whiskey was spurred by the rise of prohibitionist sentiment in the country. I think that these decorative or whimsical flasks were used to counter the demonization of spirits by the advocates of prohibition.

In 1895 the Anti Saloon Leage had become a powerful, national organization. In 1913, the League announced its campaign to achieve national prohibition through a constitutional amendment. In 1916, an alliance of temperance organizations propelled the election of two-thirds majorities in both houses of Congress necessary to initiate what became the Eighteenth Amendment to our Constitution -- Prohibition.

After 1918, there was no use for clever marketing. The Prohibition Era whiskey flasks, which were sold only with a physician's prescription, tend to be relatively austere and functional.

pumpkinseedAcolburnCo.jpg

Harry Pristis said:
unclenutsy said:
Thanks, 'uncle' -- glad you like the bottles.

I do see that 'inks' did get more specific with his question. All these flasks date from the 1880s to about 1910, or so.

I think that the use of attractive and novelty flasks for whiskey was spurred by the rise of prohibitionist sentiment in the country. I think that these decorative or whimsical flasks were used to counter the demonization of spirits by the advocates of prohibition.

In 1895 the Anti Saloon Leage had become a powerful, national organization. In 1913, the League announced its campaign to achieve national prohibition through a constitutional amendment. In 1916, an alliance of temperance organizations propelled the election of two-thirds majorities in both houses of Congress necessary to initiate what became the Eighteenth Amendment to our Constitution -- Prohibition.

After 1918, there was no use for clever marketing. The Prohibition Era whiskey flasks, which were sold only with a physician's prescription, tend to be relatively austere and functional.

thanks for your help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back