Pully Wheel?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I took this picture about 18 years ago... just so one day I can ask someone what the heck it was used for.

This wheel sits on top of a steep grade on an Adirondack Mountain Top in upstate New York. It was a two minute walk from my bear hunting campsite, on state land, near a long-abandoned privy and log cabin site.

I always thought it may have been used to haul gear, timber, or what have you from below due to the steep grade. I remember that wheel being at least 2 1/2 feet across and the width of the wheel was prolly two or three inches across, and flat, no grooves. And the bottom, what looks like two legs under the wheel... I think they moved up and down... may have connected somehow to the wheel with wooden arms... the wood was long gone...

Any ideas what it is? What it may be part of? I have no real idea...

iron wheel.JPG

Hi MJ,
I've just got home from 4 days at an Expo/Conference in Rotorua and the theme of one exhibit was 'Engineering is Art'.
That wheel you found, says it all :D

The flat of the wheel surface, suggests to me, that it's part of a belt drive. It looks like you can adjust the position of the wheel - just like a belt tensioner.
That's my guess.
Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
Sure would beat an old wagon wheel or wooden wheel barrow fer a yard ornament.
I'd say Christy and triki are both correct in that it's a part of a belt driven saw mill.

Upvote 0
As mentioned it's a foot powered flywheel. These were used to power a lathe. The wheels are 18 inches.

aw4b.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Guess it could be used for logging. Jim, call the guy in the picture.

Tony

Attachments

• loggers1.jpg
    loggers1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 695
Upvote 0
My thought was that it was connected to the flywheel, or something, on an older type tractor to power anything that needed powering. I.e. - a mill for grinding corn, wheat, or cane to get the juice for molasses (or if you're south of the Mason-Dixon Line -sawgum..that's sourghum to you uninitiated).

Upvote 0
Looks to me that you guys have it pretty well pinned down as part of some kind of belt driven machinery for the logging business. Monty

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Looks to me that you guys have it pretty well pinned down as part of some kind of belt driven machinery for the logging business. Monty

I think I agree... it was a loner piece - all by itself with no other equipment at all around.

The hill was hard enough to negotiate with full packs, much less haul stuff up. Timber was prolly pulled from all over the mountain top. I appreciate all your replies! :)

Upvote 0
Angelo, those people standing on the log in your picture look like the small people in "The land of the giants" tv serial some years ago ::)

God bless
Peter

Upvote 0
Hey MJ..any chance it could have been used for a skier tow rope?..I know around here there use to be lots of small ski places that had tow ropes to pull skiers up the hill instead of lifts....just a guess though..

Upvote 0
I really don't think so. This area is too remote for someone to have hauled this crap in for a ski line... however... ya' never know!

Upvote 0
ROFL... If I would have had to haul that stuff cross the Rockies like they did in the old days, I would have been one woman that owned nothing. WHEW! what a pita!

"TR"

Upvote 0
Jim,

I have seen some Victorian machines that operate with the pedal driven flywheel.
Some sewing machines but wood working machines especially used the type of wheel shown in your photo, the one that comes to mind the quickest is a scroll saw.
Also a small lathe. The tools were used to make small intricate wood articles that otherwise would have been carved. many fences and porches of the time displayed the craft of someone who was able to operate these tools.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back