Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see a lot of uprising from families of 'suppected' criminals who are caught
in the act of committing a crime, complaining that their family member is
not guilty; and their photo should not be in the papers or on TV news.
My thoughts are that if its good enough for the president, it should be good
enough for all the criminals !!!

I encourage it....Hell the Judical System doesnt deterr them from doing anything...Maybe a little Pulic humilitiy will

golden ray:

So everyone who is arrested is guilty? Since DNA testing became available, approximately 10% of the people held on death row in the United States have been released.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

I agree with publishing the photos, but I also agree with OB's point too. NO photos should be published unless the person is actually caught in the act, or has been found guilty. The Atlanta bomber is a prime example of a "strong suspect" being arrested and later he was found completely innocent. His life was totally ruined by his photo being published immediately upon arrest, before any actual facts were known or proven. Just because a person is arrested, again if not caught in the act, does not make them guilty and all the facts are known. Once all facts have been gathered, and the person is proven guilty, then publish away.

Unclebuck257:

Publishing photos of suspects in order to identify them makes sense - such as the case of the Boston Bombers.

Publishing a photo of someone "caught in the act" simply to name them is wrong. That's why we have a justice system.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Unclebuck 257, thank you for reading my post correctly. "caught in the act of committing a crime".

Unclebuck257:

Publishing photos of suspects in order to identify them makes sense - such as the case of the Boston Bombers.

Publishing a photo of someone "caught in the act" simply to name them is wrong. That's why we have a justice system.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OB,

Even those "caught in the actual act of a crime" do get bail at times. Often while out on bail, they then commit another crime just like the first one. If I were a store owner, I sure would like to see Joe's picture ahead of time so that if and when Joe walked into my store to do another armed robbery, I'd be ready. "Caught in the actual act of a crime" is a bunch different than just arrested under suspicion of a crime to be proved later. In the latter one, I fully agree with you. in the first example, I completely disagree with you because the person was DEFINITELY doing the actual crime!

Unclebuck257:

I can't agree that every photo is 100% accurate. Of course some criminals are repeat offenders.

Actually, golden ray's post is to vague to respond to. But I can't accept the notion that security cameras don't lie.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Unclebuck257:

I can't agree that every photo is 100% accurate. Of course some criminals are repeat offenders.

Actually, golden ray's post is to vague to respond to. But I can't accept the notion that security cameras don't lie.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

When booked, AFTER being "caught in the actual act of a crime" it's usually their book-in photos that are published. Those are 100% accurate photographs. Regarding in store (for example) surviellance footage, dependant on the quality of the cameras, yes I will agree with you that some of that footage can be grainey and not exactly 100% clear. I have found however that those grainey type surv. footage pictures are usually only used when attempting to get the public's help in identifying a suspect and no names at that point can, or are, used on TV, simply because the law enforcement is trying to get a name at that point.

Thus, the term "alleged perpetrator", was instigated......

Guess it's sad, but yep, they release them glamor shot mug photos!
Public info........

Thus, the term "alleged perpetrator", was instigated......

Guess it's sad, but yep, they release them glamor shot mug photos!
Public info........

Sad?....Looking at the Florida Mugshots is one of my daily routines :tongue3:

The sad part is, im usally only a couple pages in before i see someone either in my family, or That i went to school with

Here in Austin,we've have had 2 cases where,DNA was used and both people were set free,one guy was serving a life sentence for killing his wife,and the other was a women & her husband who were both serving a 50 sentence for day care abuse.

pip,

LEOs are human beings and yes, they do make mistakes. Personally, I'm glad that we now have DNA tests that definitely eliminate the innocent, of whatever race.

Last edited:
Why not publish a mugshot photo after a court of law has deemed them guilty as opposed to now where it's plastered all over the Internet? Seems that after the picture is up the old adage innocent until proven guilty goes out the window! Lol. Most private websites that post mugshots would be glad to remove ones photo,.... For a small fee lol---

wetfly:

Agreed! It's legal blackmail.

You know the old saying when someone is found not guilty: "Where to I go to get my reputation back?"

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Unclebuck257:

Have you seen Deadline (2004)? It's a remarkable documentary about Illinois Governor George Ryan. A study of an elected official trying to do the right thing. Compelling.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

golden ray:

So everyone who is arrested is guilty? Since DNA testing became available, approximately 10% of the people held on death row in the United States have been released.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

All arrests are public records as they should be.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

All arrests are public records as they should be.

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

... and AS PUBLIC RECORDS, they are EXACTLY THAT ... PUBLIC.

For instance, if I am a bill collector I can't legally discuss your debt with a third party - such as your employer. To do so would open me up to a lawsuit.

Once I have a court judgment, it has become a public record. Then I can contact your employer and tell them about your debt in order to collect on said debt via wage garnishment.

If you marry, it is a public record. If you divorce it is a public record. If you decide to create a second marriage public record, it is always wise to create a divorce public record first.

Unclebuck257:

Have you seen Deadline (2004)? It's a remarkable documentary about Illinois Governor George Ryan. A study of an elected official trying to do the right thing. Compelling.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

just a little side note. do you realize IL has more ex-guvs doing time than any other state!!!!!!!!!!

depends on the 'right' thing????

Reminder.... insults and attacks including attacking someone's spelling ect violates our rules....Don't do it....

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back