🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Propeller looking knob

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
I been searching for valves and knobs and taps, I can't find anything that resembles this that's iron. I'm sure it's probably obvious and I'm overthinking it. The little sharp tip is curious, it doesn't appear to be broken off I don't think. I'm trying to clean it up further. Found at 1890s mill site. Maybe a forged wing nut?

Attachments

• IMG_3842.jpeg
    IMG_3842.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3843.jpeg
    IMG_3843.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
I been searching for valves and knobs and taps, I can't find anything that resembles this that's iron. I'm sure it's probably obvious and I'm overthinking it. The little sharp tip is curious, it doesn't appear to be broken off I don't think. I'm trying to clean it up further. Found at 1890s mill site. Maybe a forged wing nut?
It's similar to a vintage bike wing nut

Upvote 2
I like the indicator knob idea like an on/off switch from one of the mill machines.

Upvote 1
Upvote 1
Hi Nathan W
I would believe a motor propeller would have three blades and more pitch to the blades.
I believe you have found a Cast Iron 1800's Wing Nut.View attachment 2127041
Here's my brass wing Nut.
Thanks for stating this style is from the 1800s.
I've always liked it, so it's in the cabinet.
20240120_082408.jpg

Upvote 6

Hi Nathan W

Just curious if the pointed dome like end of one or both items is fixed to the item?
That is...does it come off or is it rusted on or was it made to be there?
I might be thinking it may be a Wing Nut with a Lock or Spinner Nut attached...completing it!

Lock Nut.jpg

Upvote 0

Hi Nathan W

Just curious if the pointed dome like end of one or both items is fixed to the item?
That is...does it come off or is it rusted on or was it made to be there?
I might be thinking it may be a Wing Nut with a Lock or Spinner Nut attached...completing it!

View attachment 2127121
I've got it soaking in vinegar so maybe it will show more clues after. It could be lock nut

Upvote 1
It looks like an old 1970s heavy duty paint stir blade tip, attached to a rod inserted into a drill chuck.
Did they make them without the ring housing.
I thought of the same thing, but couldn't find just a 2 blade mixer.
Screenshot_20240121_140439_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 2
Metal fabricator here. The main bore through the middle sure looks like it has some remnants of threads in it, though that could be an illusion. The pointy protrusion says set screw to me, strongly. The pointy nature of the corrosion is odd on what assumably would’ve bean the meatiest part of the set screw, but maybe the head was twisted off, then the corrosion set in. The flat faced swollen area underneath the pointy thing looks classic for having female threads cut into it (to accomodate male threads on the shank of the pointy thing), or at least for the pointy thing to have been installed by press fit. The “handles” are interesting, are they both canted, the way a planes propeller is? If so, the photo makes them look like they’re both canted the same direction (very much unlike a propeller!). That I couldn’t explain.. but that could be an illusion. If they’re simply tapered, each like a straightened banana (or elongated football, sweet potato, etc), my guess is this is an adjustment handle. In that theory, this would have operated like a wing nut, threading up or down a threaded shaft, but in this case the function would’ve been increasing or decreasing the depth, tension, or spring pressure etc, on a threaded rod inside some kind of machine, the other end of the rod being affixed to a belt tensioner, spring plate, etc. Release the set screw, righty tighty to increase tension on the rod, lefty loosey to ease back, retighten the set screw once proper rod tension is achieved, now tension is fixed. Just a theory.

Upvote 2
Metal fabricator here. The main bore through the middle sure looks like it has some remnants of threads in it, though that could be an illusion. The pointy protrusion says set screw to me, strongly. The pointy nature of the corrosion is odd on what assumably would’ve bean the meatiest part of the set screw, but maybe the head was twisted off, then the corrosion set in. The flat faced swollen area underneath the pointy thing looks classic for having female threads cut into it (to accomodate male threads on the shank of the pointy thing), or at least for the pointy thing to have been installed by press fit. The “handles” are interesting, are they both canted, the way a planes propeller is? If so, the photo makes them look like they’re both canted the same direction (very much unlike a propeller!). That I couldn’t explain.. but that could be an illusion. If they’re simply tapered, each like a straightened banana (or elongated football, sweet potato, etc), my guess is this is an adjustment handle. In that theory, this would have operated like a wing nut, threading up or down a threaded shaft, but in this case the function would’ve been increasing or decreasing the depth, tension, or spring pressure etc, on a threaded rod inside some kind of machine, the other end of the rod being affixed to a belt tensioner, spring plate, etc. Release the set screw, righty tighty to increase tension on the rod, lefty loosey to ease back, retighten the set screw once proper rod tension is achieved, now tension is fixed. Just a theory.
Thank you for your detailed reply

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back