Probably nothing…

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Walked edge of my timber where its fronts a soybean field. (Hot area for debitage last year.)
I found the shown items. I don’t claim that they are artifacts, but I am intrigued with the possibilities.
The black stone appears to have been in a fire. The light colored area was all that was sticking out of the soil. I gently washed it; the black stayed. If I scrub it hard,the black comes off. Appears to be baked on.

IMG_3236.jpeg
IMG_3235.jpeg

The bottom row: left pc appears to be a broken point or broken preform. The center pc looked like a bird point, when in situ. The right pc looks like a small scraper or preform scraper.
Regardless of outcome, it was great to get out “scouting” again. Thanks for looking 👍🏼

Upvote 5
The Black Rock could very well have been in a fire. The bottom row looks like all flake to me. I don't see any signs of working them down into actual points. But it looks like you're in the right area. Keep looking. Just my opinion. It would help to have pictures of the other side's and different angles on the bottom row.

The Black Rock could very well have been in a fire. The bottom row looks like all flake to me. I don't see any signs of working them down into actual points. But it looks like you're in the right area. Keep looking. Just my opinion. It would help to have pictures of the other side's and different angles on the bottom row.
Both sides are shown. I’ll try to get better angles.👍🏼

The 3 in the bottom row are definitely Burlington flint. The darker one, on the right has more cortex and is discolored. The large, black piece has visible crystaline spots. I’m not sure what type of rock it is. I just thought it looked fire-darkened. They may be “junk” stones, but I don’t consider flint to be gravel. I guess it can be, by loose definition.

You will find natural stones the farmer will sometimes dump man made stones with fill for erosion and making the land level. I’ve seen it many times in fields and creeks. There is some man made stones in the creek I’m walking now for erosion that has washed in with the other rocks a grey and black stone. It’s not uncommon to find them.

You will find natural stones the farmer will sometimes dump man made stones with fill for erosion and making the land level. I’ve seen it many times in fields and creeks. There is some man made stones in the creek I’m walking now for erosion that has washed in with the other rocks a grey and black stone. It’s not uncommon to find them.
Does the black usually seem baked on and come off with hard scrubbing? I’ve found a lot of two-tone rocks. This seemed different. I’m not trying to inflate into something it’s not. Just curious. Thanks.👍🏼

Does the black usually seem baked on and come off with hard scrubbing? I’ve found a lot of two-tone rocks. This seemed different. I’m not trying to inflate into something it’s not. Just curious. Thanks.👍🏼
Now the retired farmer used to do control burns on the fields. Not saying that’s what you have but it’s possible. Fire rock is much different from what you have. It’s usually a quartzite and I’m not sure if I have any examples or not I usually just toss it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back