Probably last chance for 2023

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Rain, then snow. Now melted off. I walked one of my permission fields this morning to see if anything was revealed. I found a lot of flint debitage. The longer piece, in lower right corner, looks like it possibly could have been a blade of some sort and now displays some damage.
Agree or Pareidolia? Thanks
IMG_2524.jpeg
IMG_2525.jpeg

Upvote 4
Hard to say about that big one. Doesn't look like it was worked much, if at all. But it does have an edge to it so wouldn't have needed a ton of work?

Hard to say about that big one. Doesn't look like it was worked much, if at all. But it does have an edge to it so wouldn't have needed a ton of work?
Yeah, Im leaning toward it being just a large flake, but it isn’t in the scrap flint bucket…yet.

When you start reducing nodules for the purpose of making bifaces, blades like the big one you show come off randomly all the time. It’s just a particular type of debitage. When I knap I usually save a few of those blades for posterity, and to educate non knappers. These blades were all random debitage that I produced and not made that way on purpose. They show flake scars on the side pictured. The back of all of them are flat with no scars.View attachment 2122820View attachment 2122820View attachment 2122820

My pic didn’t load. Here it is. The one thing these blades have in common is a strong ridge on one side. The fracture follows that ridge and forms the blade.View attachment 2122821
I have found a lot of those here in Florida made of heat treated coral. Many show secondary edge work that to me shows they were purposely made and used as cutting tools, then resharpened a few times. Some are razor sharp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back