✅ SOLVED Prill Silver Company Desk Set - Plated or Not?

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I picked up this desk set today at a yard sale. It has a fluted pen holder and two square inkwell holders. The bottom is marked with a shield cartouche with a lion, crossed keys, and a 'P', which I was able to decipher as the mark of the Prill Silver Company of New York City. I am curious about the additional markings of a unicorn's head and a second set of crossed keys. I am wondering if I have a silverplated piece or something better? Also, any idea of the item's age?

Thank you in advance for any input.

B.

desk set.jpg desk set 2.jpg

Prill started in 1936, so it would have to be later than that. It would have to be marked sterling or .925 for it to be silver. As you cannot find these markings, my assumption is that it is plated.

Upvote 0
Prill primarily made Silver and spun weighted silver They switched to stainless later on.
That said The correct hallmark is not a complete stamp and I have never seen the funky horse or crosskeys mark on the real deal. (The crosskeys should be in the missing section of the coat of arms top right)

Me thinks at first glance fake. I could be wrong, geez that does happen a lot , but the other two marks look suspect and the correct mark is not complete.

My thoughts

Upvote 0
Prill primarily made Silver and spun weighted silver They switched to stainless later on.
That said The correct hallmark is not a complete stamp and I have never seen the funky horse or crosskeys mark on the real deal. (The crosskeys should be in the missing section of the coat of arms top right)

trdking, I appreciate the info. As far as the hallmark, I blame my camera for the poor photograph. At the correct angle in the right lighting, the hallmark is complete, as I can see a lion in the upper left portion, the crosskeys in the upper right, and the letter 'P' in the bottom portion. It is quite worn, but still visible under ideal conditions. As far as the unicorn and second set of crosskeys, I'm stumped.

I tend to agree with Kevo_DFX that a company wouldn't typically go to the trouble of crafting something in silver and not mark it as either 'Sterling' or '925'. I was hoping the unicorn and second set of crosskeys meant something regarding the metal content, but the only similar markings I can find are old Sheffield marks. Perhaps they are on this piece to denote that it is a Prill reproduction of an old Sheffield pattern or style?

Upvote 0
I have never seen a piece of Prill marked sterling or .925 usually just this main mark. When I have seen variants it is a size of container e.g. 1 liter pitcher etc

Upvote 0
Barring any further input, I'll likely take it to a local jeweler to have it evaluated for metal content. If it is silver plate, do you think it would be worth buying some replacement glass inkwells in order to sell as a complete set? I have $3.25 invested in the tray itself, and a decent pair of vintage inkwells will likely run me $40 with shipping. Is there any chance of recouping $43? Or would I be better off just selling the tray alone? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Jeweler verified that it was plated. :thumb_down: The extra marks remain a mystery. Thank you everyone for the input.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back