Prices on Malleries.com

Aug 31, 2011
I'm a treasure hunter in the way that I collect antique items, especially furniture and everything I can decorate my home with. But sometimes I have trouble telling when I'm being charged too much for an item.

I've found some amazing antiques & valuables on a site called Malleries.com.
But everything seems to be insanely expensive on the site.. I have a history of buying valuable items, but I just want to make sure if the prices go according to the items' real value.

Have a look at this:
http://www.malleries.com/gorgeous-18th-century-venetian-secretary-i-32801-s-40.html

A book shelf, priced at 70,000 dollars. Is there any true value behind the price tag?
I'm not blaming the site, I just want to know if I should buy from there or not... if this same stuff is for sale on another site for much less, please do tell ;D.
I'm only after the best antique furniture out there, but 70k for a shelf seems outrageous unless it was used by Napoleon himself.

If I'm buying something I like for myself and I can't find it elsewhere for cheaper then I ask is it worth that to me. 70K seems a 'little' high but if someone comes along and pays that then there is a market for the item at that price. That market maybe only one person but it does exist.

Hell I could ask for a million dollars for my car and post it on the internet but it does not automatically make my car worth a million. I know nothing about antique furniture...for all I know that book shelf/cabinet is worth 150K and is a great deal at 70K. It really depends on if it is worth that to you and if it is available somewhere else and for how much.

Good luck

NJ

are the handles made of gold? Thats the only way id pay $70,000. If you are interested i have a rare pull tab for sale its only a mere $6,000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back