Pretty well grounded

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Night falls and boredom is rampid once again. Hey why not follow up on some research. So off I went in my little truck. I expected to not find coin, jewelry, or even pull tabs....but I did find exactly what I expected.

Site at one time was a power substation.

So the not your usual find, but one I suspected might be there was:

3 1/4inch 5 foot long solid copper grounding rods.

Gonna have to cut em tomorrow to confirm, but they are definately copper on the outside so I suspect copper through and though. No pic on this one. Will be taking in aluminum cans tomorrow and these after I cut them. Will get pic then.

LoL take em how you find em eh?

Postalrevnant

Upvote 0
Not sure how much but, I know copper is up in price, hope you get a few $$$! HH, Mike

No. 1 copper here in Houston is at $3 per pound. Many of the old rods were some sort of carbon-based metal with a copper jacket. Many of them now are solid copper depending upon the application. Railroads use clad rods because people would rob them blind. Secure areas such as sub-stations, many times, use the all copper rods. Why it makes a difference is beyond me, but, electricity is conducted solely upon the outer surface area of its conductor.

Anyway, sounds like $13 - $15 to me.

I would go back and see if you can find anymore of that copper! I scrap aluminum and copper as well whenever I get enough of it worthy of a trip. Nice job bud! :)

As boring as it is to dig copper rods they are worth more than most coin finds, even silver coin finds.

Will.Dig.For.Food said:
No. 1 copper here in Houston is at $3 per pound. Many of the old rods were some sort of carbon-based metal with a copper jacket. Many of them now are solid copper depending upon the application. Railroads use clad rods because people would rob them blind. Secure areas such as sub-stations, many times, use the all copper rods. Why it makes a difference is beyond me, but, electricity is conducted solely upon the outer surface area of its conductor.

Anyway, sounds like $13 - $15 to me.

Did not know about the ones with just copper jacket. Drove by the recycling place today and saw it was closed, so did not cut up the rods yet to check it out. You are probably right on the value though. Who knows might get lucky and get 30ish.

bscofield6 said:
I would go back and see if you can find anymore of that copper! I scrap aluminum and copper as well whenever I get enough of it worthy of a trip. Nice job bud! :)

As boring as it is to dig copper rods they are worth more than most coin finds, even silver coin finds.

TY absolutely true. Until I find a job am looking at all possibilities for the exp 2 fund. BH 505 is ok, but since I am sure I would love to detect for a long time I will be trying for the exp 2. Just sold an extra computer, selling one of my american fender strats on ebay soon. Plus a few other things. After I get a job and we hopefully don't need to use any of this money for a move then I should be over half way there.

Postalrevnant

Cool, a good pile of scrap copper is always worth keeping. I have a friend who's doing the same thing, saving for his detector by accumulating copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back