Pre-Nazi Germany Swastika Brass Badge?

cowboykelly

Dec 10, 2007
Lubbock
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Here is a brass badge I found about 10 years ago out on a ranch in west central texas. I was only 14 at the time and was looking for arrowheads. While starting across a dam that was built during the great depression by mules and horses I saw this little guy on the ground freshly uncovered by a recent rain. The part of the country I was in gets a lot less rainfall and has a lot more other dams built so this particular dam doesn't even hold water in place anymore. Quite an unexpected find for me in the middle of nowhere, texas. When I showed my father he quickly noted that the symbol was straight up and down, not tilted like the Nazi Germany Swastika. Was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about this piece or had every seen such a badge?

Attachments

• DSC01935.JPG
    DSC01935.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 716
  • DSC01936.JPG
    DSC01936.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC01937.JPG
    DSC01937.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC01938.JPG
    DSC01938.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 597
  • DSC01939.JPG
    DSC01939.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 579
Nice!!! It may not be German. Several cultures used that design long before the Nazis. It was even a Native American symble at one time. Tony

Upvote 0
Yeah, the Swastika is an ancient symbol used by many cultures over the centuries. Google it and you'd be amazed how much it turns up.

Hard to say what you have there.

Here's a funny photo I found...

es1916.jpg

The Edmonton Swastikas, a Canadian womens' ice hockey team, c.1916.

...probably wouldn't be invited to play in Israel anytime soon (!)

Jay

Upvote 0
up until the nazi, the hooked cross was a symbol that represented many good things, prosperity, health, beauty, ect.
many early homes in the midwest has the swastika above the doorway to the home. many of these symbols were removed after the war began in 39.

nazi swastika are oriented on one of the points of the cross, not square as the one you found.

hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Actually the Nazi party used this form (orientation) as well, not uncommonly. But I agree this item isn't likely attributable to them.

Upvote 0
NHbenz said:
Actually the Nazi party used this form (orientation) as well, not uncommonly. But I agree this item isn't likely attributable to them.
yep

Upvote 0
another example of 'pre-nazi' use is the town of Swastika Ontario http://wikimapia.org/1912945/Swastika-Ontario
I lived for a while in Kirkland lake, Ont. which is right next door. There is or was? a nice little museum there that
explained the 'pre-nazi' use of the 'Swastika' It was used for years by the town and a drug company there. The Government wanted to change the name to a more politically correct name during WWII but the town said no. "Hitler go to hell, we had it first" was one of their war cries.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back