Poverty Point artifacts in Tennessee?

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have these shells and pottery been painted or is that just the coloring from being buried for centuries???

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No idea on the white chalky one or black one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I think the coloring in the 1st pic, is iron in the clay.
Those shells look like they were used as beads/ornaments.
Love the decorative stone. Nice finds.
I have no idea about the white stone or the black blob.

Upvote 0
What about the coloring on the shells? Iron from the soil?

Upvote 0
What do you think about this piece?

It looks VERY similar to a Female/Fertility/Venus figure

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0
Your last pictures are of a nature made rock. The shells are periwinkles. They are fresh water snails that were eaten by the thousands in soups. If you look, the tops are ground off of the shells. They would grind off the end, throw them in a pot of water and cook. snail would come out of the shell and shells fell to bottom of pot and were thrown in the trash pit. If you find clusters of periwinkles, you are near or on top of a trash pit. I have dug dozens of trash pits with thousands of shells in each pit. Pottery is that color from being fired when made and used in the fire when cooking.

Upvote 0
Shell middens..... Aren't middens used to date the age/period and determine what tribe was around?

Upvote 0
Your last pictures are of a nature made rock. The shells are periwinkles. They are fresh water snails that were eaten by the thousands in soups. If you look, the tops are ground off of the shells. They would grind off the end, throw them in a pot of water and cook. snail would come out of the shell and shells fell to bottom of pot and were thrown in the trash pit. If you find clusters of periwinkles, you are near or on top of a trash pit. I have dug dozens of trash pits with thousands of shells in each pit. Pottery is that color from being fired when made and used in the fire when cooking.

Is it normal that I'm finding salt water shells being I'm in Tennessee?

Upvote 0
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Is it normal that everything I've found has been in the same area. Do the artifacts match up w each other?
What am I looking at here? no1 has been able to identify who this point belonged 2. Age? Tribe? Anything will help

Upvote 0
I don't see any Poverty Point items, that's a nice blade that you have in your hand and a better photo of it would make it easy to ID. The effigy item is just a natural stone and if you are finding these items in the same area keep hunting there and you will find more.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Is it normal that I'm finding salt water shells being I'm in Tennessee?
I found an area here in Ms., that had lots of petrified conch shells. I was told that at one time that area was under water. (As in the great flood).
True or not? IDK. I never took a shell to anyone with a degree to find out.
At the time, I had other priorities.
I think you have some very interesting finds, and you should find someone with an archeology background to tell you what you have.

Upvote 0
I found an area here in Ms., that had lots of petrified conch shells. I was told that at one time that area was under water. (As in the great flood).
True or not? IDK. I never took a shell to anyone with a degree to find out.
At the time, I had other priorities.
I think you have some very interesting finds, and you should find someone with an archeology background to tell you what you have.

as in "great flood"...well no....but yes many areas of dry land now were under water millions of years ago....I have found seashell fossils in the Rockies before.

Upvote 0
View attachment 1338206View attachment 1338207View attachment 1338208View attachment 1338209View attachment 1338210

Is it normal that everything I've found has been in the same area. Do the artifacts match up w each other?
What am I looking at here? no1 has been able to identify who this point belonged 2. Age? Tribe? Anything will help

artifacts do not have to "match up" with each other...remember, native peoples have been wandering this landscape for over 12,000 and maybe even 16,000 years. I have found artifacts spanning thousands of years in the same place before, we all have.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back