Pottery tube with orange stripe

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Any ideas what this was a part of? Crazing all over, surface with some unevenness and a small pin hole on one end. I thought maybe a smoking pipe stem? - but I have never seen one with such a curve. The handle of a cup?

I am taking a class about pottery and I will bring it in for my instructor to take a look at but wanted to try here too. ;D

290ts1y.jpg

16k19g3.jpg

This site I gave out the other day is very helpful. :headbang: You can spend hours in it learning types of old pottery from precolonial to colonial to post colonial!
http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Index.htm :thumbsup:
Your piece looks like a handle to a cup to me as small as it is compared to the dime.
It was purdy common to stripe the handles.I might even have one like yours but it take me all day to dig through all the pieces to find it. :laughing9:

Colors

Like design motifs, colors used on printed earthenware are useful in estimating the dates of production. Underglaze printed vessels produced from the 1780s through the 1820s were primarily blue, since cobalt was the only coloring agent at that time that could withstand the high heat of the glazing oven without blurring the designs or causing problems with the glaze as they burned off. As technology improved and glazes became clearer, other colors were successfully developed. Black appears to have been among the first viable colors other than blue, but it was followed by various shades of brown, purple, green, red, and lavender. Brown was used in printing prior to 1829, but it became more common in the 1830s. Printing in two or more colors was introduced around 1835. Generally, the central design of a vessel would be depicted in one color, and the border in a contrasting color. The most common color combination was red and green. Click here to view examples.

Some printed wares display a type of polychrome decoration known as clobbering - colored enamels (pinks, greens, yellows, reds) hand-applied as highlights over the final lead glazing. Clobbering is generally restricted to small areas along the rim or marley of the vessel; it is quite distinct from the technique of printing a design with larger areas intended to be filled with enamels, practiced later in the century. This type of decorative technique occurs most commonly on vessels manufactured after 1840. Click here to view examples.

Attachments

• DSCN0634.JPG
    DSCN0634.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN0635.JPG
    DSCN0635.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Yea yours could be from some kind of figurine being it is so hollow! But that site is very good at helping out as it gives so many pics. to match things with and lots of info. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete :hello:

Upvote 0
Bumping this up b/c this we talked about this piece in my pottery class. Originally the instructor dismissed it as "20th century" and the crackling was intentional. She still thinks the crackling is intentional but we recently got into late 18th/early 19th century English Prattware and she now thinks it has some real resemblance to the crazy pipes they made in that style.

I had never seen anything like them before and thought I would pass some pictures along ;D

22-01.jpg

1.jpg

030620CHEF_0104.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back