Potato Rocks

comerlulu

Greenie
Apr 27, 2007

Attachments

• Potato Rocks 001.jpg
    Potato Rocks 001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 815
glacial drift can cause to "polish" rocks.

Upvote 0
Pre-historic "Gastrolites" (Dinosaur swallowed stones to aid in digestion) or Native American game pieces?

Where where these found and how large are they?

You may want to post this on the Native American section of the TNet Forum as well.

Upvote 0
Tater rocks, I love it. Great description, I can see exectly what you mean. I have no clue what they are, but I loved your post, thanks. :D

Upvote 0
I agree, they could be Gastroliths... or gizzard stones.
The Dino's would swallow them and when they would no longer work they would "Huck" them up and go get new ones.

This all depends on where they came from though.
These certainly look like they would fit that description.

OD

Upvote 0
If they were found in a relatively small area and that field happens to be near a natural source of water they could possibly be cooking stones. Natives would pick up small to medium river cobbles and heat them in a fire until super hot and drop them into what they were going to cook, it would instantly bring their water/soup whatever to a boil. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the information !!! I never would of thought them to be Dino's hawkins, that's for sure !! lol
I've added the map of Missouri and the area that they were found. I also put a Bic lighter to compare their size for ya. It took me a minute to decide what to use to compare'em. I started to use my Pamprin bottle, but realized that ya'll may not purchase Pamprin.( ha ha ) So I went with the lighter. :D
My husband is in the de-construction business. He works for a scrap metal company. So, he tears down lots of old structures and finds lots of hidden treasures! That's how these were found. He told me that there isn't any source of water for miles from where he found'em, so I don't think they were creek rocks. As far as where dinosaurs are located, I'm clueless. I never realized that there might be dinosaurs around here?? :o
I hope this helps ya'll in figuring it out. Your information really has been educational for me. I did find a web page about someone else who had a "Potato Rock" he was told it might be a petrified tator??( What would scare a tator so bad to petrified it?? )ha ha (Sorry !!!)

Thanks So Much,
LuLu ( I hope you can see the "X" on the map. It's down in the SW corner of Missouri. In the beautiful Missouri Ozarks)

Attachments

• Potato Rocks 2 004.jpg
    Potato Rocks 2 004.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 682
  • missouri-map 2.GIF
    missouri-map 2.GIF
    45 KB · Views: 703
Upvote 0
Ouch...broke my tooth.I've heard of rock or stone soup;
this maybe a little tastier ;D

RD

Upvote 0
badoscar said:
These "Potato Stones", did your old man find them all in one grouping?

I can't believe you knew that !!! He told me last night that they were all in a pile when he found them , and that maybe I should mention that to ya'll. Why, is that a clue to what they are???

Thanks,
LuLu

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is what you have or not, but I found this link (Scroll down to Potato-shaped Artifact)

http://www.indiana.edu/~e472/cdf/plantation/index.htm

Potato-shaped Artifact (Figure 5)
This artifact has been referred to as potato-shaped but could also be seen as having the shape of an animal, a tumor, or almost anything you could imagine. If it were not associated with the other two artifacts in the cache, there is nothing about it that suggests it represents a cultural artifact. Natural stones with unusual shape or color were often collected by native people and imbued with special meaning and qualities. In the American Southwest, these are called fetishes. A natural rock may appear to the collector in the shape of a totem animal or dream messenger. In the right light, the potato-shaped stone can be seen to have the shape of a bear. In California , special stones were sometimes heated and used in healing practices. Polished, but otherwise unmodified stones in known curing outfits have been attributed to this function.

The banded material of which it is composed appears to be some type of sedimentary stone. The banding appears to be more resistant to wear. Some areas of the artifact appear to be polished, but on closer examination this polishing seems to be natural since both high and low points are equally smooth. The artifact measures 126 x 81 x 65 mm, and weighs 908.3 g. While itself a red-brown color, the stone also bears a reddish stain like the other two artifacts in the cache.

Upvote 0
comerlulu said:
badoscar said:
These "Potato Stones", did your old man find them all in one grouping?

I can't believe you knew that !!! He told me last night that they were all in a pile when he found them , and that maybe I should mention that to ya'll. Why, is that a clue to what they are???

Thanks,
LuLu
I should have said these stones were found close together and not a pile. My husband pointed out that I made it sound like they were all on top of each other.( My discriptions are only clear in my own head,I'm a blonde Hillbilly, what do you expect??) HaHa He told me they were found in about a 4 foot by 4 foot area. Not quite what you'd call a pile?? Oooops !!! Sorry, guys and thanks again for all your help !!!!

LuLu ;D

Upvote 0
i go with dino digestive stones. lookup a local rock/mineral club and send them pics of what you have. they may be able to help ID them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back