Postcard experts needed. What are these !???

kyonasaskia

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I got a lot of postcards here, and I've been doing searches all over for them, (worthpoint, eBay, etc.). They seem like they're of a silent movie possibly. The fronts say "copyright 1907 by R. Henry". The backs are divided, none were written on or postmarked. Published by The International Postal Card Co., Chicago.
I'd love to know the answer, as I've been wondering for several months now. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• aPostcardForum2.jpg
    aPostcardForum2.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 157
  • aPostcardForum1.JPG
    aPostcardForum1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
"Why don't you spend something else besides the Evening", "I want what I want when I want it", and "Because, I'm Married now" are all songs from the very early 1900's.

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow, that is so interesting. Might just be an answer. I got another message regarding "R. Henry Grey, born: 1891 died: 1934

silent film actor of his day", so still a mystery, but getting there. Thank you guys.

Upvote 0
The International Postal Card Co. was a Chicago company in business from 1908-1910. They published the cards, but the cards were manufactured in either Germany or Austria. They are not silent film shots, they are staged photos. They were considered humorous or comedic cards of that era. The photographer was R. Henry of Carnoustie NB.
I'd like to see a pic of the back of one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow! How on earth do you know all of this? This is great, I love this forum. I'm going to put up the back side of one of them for you. Another question, do you think that they're worth anything valuable, or are they just regular, five-ten dollar cards?
P.S.: I hope you can see the attachment clearly enough, I had to compress/optimize to get it up there.

Attachments

• aForumNewBack.JPG
    aForumNewBack.JPG
    568.7 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Arcade Cards: Postcard-sized images dispensed from penny arcade vending machines. They were normally printed on one side only, and showed black and white or tinted portraits or action photos of film, western/sports stars, show girls, bathing beauties, fortune telling, etc. Some had coupons on the back that could be redeemed for things like watch fobs, magic tricks, photos, pocket pieces, etc.

Upvote 0
I collect postcards and have books on the subject. I just wanted to see the back to look at the stamp box and confirm they weren't rppc's (real photo post cards). Unfortunately your cards although old aren't worth much, less than $5.

Savant-
Arcade cards are a totally different animal, the only similarity being the size and sometimes subject matter, they were not postcards. These are staged photo postcards, although it's not a rppc, the image started out in life as an actual photograph.

Upvote 0
I collect postcards and have books on the subject. I just wanted to see the back to look at the stamp box and confirm they weren't rppc's (real photo post cards). Unfortunately your cards although old aren't worth much, less than $5.

Savant-
Arcade cards are a totally different animal, the only similarity being the size and sometimes subject matter, they were not postcards. These are staged photo postcards, although it's not a rppc, the image started out in life as an actual photograph.

Yeah, as soon as I posted that I saw the picture of the back and knew I was wrong lol.

Charlie

Upvote 0
Here is a little interesting observation for those who may not have noticed. If you look closely at the cards (except for the undertaker) you will see they are all photographed in the same corner of the same room. The furniture is different in pic 1, but the room is the same and the picture hanging on the wall is the same in pic. 5. Pic 4 and 5 is the same except the chair has been moved around a bit. Pic 2 has the same carpet and it is shot in the same corner of the room as all the others. That's how you can tell they are staged studio produced pictures.

Upvote 0
This is now my official, all-time favorite, wicked-pissa forum. You guys know it all. How absolutely observant of you! I would never have thought to look at them so closely. Question solved. Thank you guys.

Upvote 0
Same painting on the wall in two of the cards with the couples in them. Okay, I'll stop..

Upvote 0
Oh, I just reread, diggummup already said that about the paintings.. 8-o

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back