invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, need help IDing and dating the 3 finds shown below. They were found near a site that was a old tavern in the 1800s, which later became a farm in the early 1900s, which was later developed into suburban housing. None have any kind of identifying marks. The first 3 pictures show what I think could be a lead water pipe. While I've dug lead water pipes before, I don't recall any that looked like they were homemade like this one (note the layered exterior). The next 3 show what could be door hardware; possibly aluminum. The last is one of 3 similar iron pieces found within about 6 feet of each other. Coming in at about 17" long and 3/16" thick, part of farm implement was the first thing that came to my mind.

Thanks-in-advance for helping, as all 3 will be donated to a local historical society for a display they're putting together.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 88
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Top left looks like a large water hose quick coupler.

Upvote 0
Tony in SC & Gambrinus, thanks for responding. Is a Babbitt bearing made of lead?

Upvote 1
It's made of Babbitt, an alloy that looks like lead but is harder. Babbitt bearings were used many years before modern roller/ball bearings.

Upvote 0
Tony in SC & Gambrinus, thanks again you given me a lot of food for thought on the first find. With the rough exterior any idea how old it is? Still trying to figure out the last 2 finds also...

Upvote 0
The size of the bearing makes me think crankshaft bearing for an early engine. The knobs on the bearing are from holes in the base to keep the bearing from spinning. These bearings had to be poured when they wore out. About 1915 or so engine builders started using insert bearings. This applies to hit&miss engines, cars used poured bearings for several years. I guessing the age as before 1915.
Tony in SC & Gambrinus, thanks again you given me a lot of food for thought on the first find. With the rough exterior any idea how old it is? Still trying to figure out the last 2 finds also...

Upvote 0
Tony_in_SC, thanks for the additional info. I reviewed an old map and found that a yarn & cloth factory was built in 1816 less than 75 feet SW from where I found the bearing. It probably went out of business in the 1850s. I don't know when the factory was torn down, but it was before a aerial photo of the area was taken in 1938. I know you estimated the age to before 1915. Do you think the hand-carved looking exterior would date it to 1816-1860?

Upvote 0
After looking at the bearing(and that is what it is) I don't think it came from an engine but a piece of machinery. Since you mentioned cloth factory I am almost sure that it is a "warp" shaft bearing 1830/60(I have seen those). The warp was a big spool that wound the cloth on a loom.
Tony_in_SC, thanks for the additional info. I reviewed an old map and found that a yarn & cloth factory was built in 1816 less than 75 feet SW from where I found the bearing. It probably went out of business in the 1850s. I don't know when the factory was torn down, but it was before a aerial photo of the area was taken in 1938. I know you estimated the age to before 1915. Do you think the hand-carved looking exterior would date it to 1816-1860?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tony in SC, thanks again! The info you provided will help tell the story of this artifact when it is donated to the historical society for their display. Based on comments I've received from past donations, helping museum visitors envision how an artifact was used, increases their interest. It is especially gratifying to hear that some visitors ask questions about the artifacts. Thanks for helping to educate and bringing an artifact to life!
After looking at the bearing(and that is what it is) I don't think it came from an engine but a piece of machinery. Since you mentioned cloth factory I am almost sure that it is a "warp" shaft bearing 1830/60(I have seen those). The warp was a big spool that wound the cloth on a loom.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back