IMAG0098.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG0095.jpg
    IMAG0095.jpg
    683.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    721.8 KB · Views: 122
The hook like object in picture number one is part to a horse tack. I found one recently. Hopefully creskol will chime in soon and give the proper name.

The one I found.

image-156175652.jpg

image-2436597634.jpg

Upvote 0
Haven't really a clue on the block but agree on the horse tack. That block looks pretty cool and slave sites seem to always pop up some awesome finds. The way an item was turned into something useful for them that wasn't the pieces original use. I just went last Saturday to a plantation here in Maryland that had a "slave village" called tick town unfortunately was overgrown chest high but property owner going to cut it down for us, he already found a Spanish real and plowed up a union soldiers grave.
I like the items and can't wait to see what that block really is. Great relic finds.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Upvote 0
Anybodys guess would be as good as mine. Hope somebody can help you out.

Upvote 0
First thing that comes to mind about that block with the dent is a 'Pestle & Mortar' but I don't know as the hole seems pretty small.

Upvote 0
First thing that comes to mind about that block with the dent is a 'Pestle & Mortar' but I don't know as the hole seems pretty small.

That's what I was thinking

Dig until your arm falls off

Upvote 0
Tick town sounds fun, except im sure the ticks are RAGING. One thing about living up here, ticks are everywhere. DEET is your best friend! But through the sweat and dirt, its always worth it. :)

Upvote 0
Have no idea if slaves used a dapping block but possible I guess. Its basically a round form used with another tool called a dapping punch. You put metal on the block and used the punch to form the metal into the round shape of the block. Like how they stamp coins or press items like car fenders into a mold etc. Be really weird if that's what you have because it raises a bigger question as to why they would have that.

Upvote 0
Haven't really a clue on the block but agree on the horse tack. That block looks pretty cool and slave sites seem to always pop up some awesome finds. The way an item was turned into something useful for them that wasn't the pieces original use. I just went last Saturday to a plantation here in Maryland that had a "slave village" called tick town unfortunately was overgrown chest high but property owner going to cut it down for us, he already found a Spanish real and plowed up a union soldiers grave.
I like the items and can't wait to see what that block really is. Great relic finds.

I have a cousin in Cape Charles and an uncle in Machipongo.

Upvote 0
It wouldn’t be that strange for someone in that community to have a dapping block. You can use a dapping tool for many things from forming spoons to bowels. Repairing or manufacturing household items was quite common.

Upvote 0
If the block has rotational wear on it, could be a door socket. That it is cut square and flattish suggests it might have fitted next to the threshold.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back