Possible silver???

buckhunter7

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I am new to this site, and a newbie to metal detecting... My name is Jason and my question is this... I was going thru some of my grandmothers things today and ran across some old forks, some have the description HE-MO-JO SILVER METAL engraved on the back and the others have 1847 ROGERS BROS on the back, are they actually silver or just junk? Thanks in advance for any input... Jason

And how would I test them? Like I said I am new to this... lol

Upvote 0
First off I am new to this site, and a newbie to metal detecting... My name is Jason and my question is this... I was going thru some of my grandmothers things today and ran across some old forks, some have the description HE-MO-JO SILVER METAL engraved on the back and the others have 1847 ROGERS BROS on the back, are they actually silver or just junk? Thanks in advance for any input... Jason

Flatware made by the 1847 Rogers Brothers is silver plated. The date of 1847 does not mean the flatware was made in 1847; it was part of the company name.

My personal opinion: I wouldn't refer to anything my grandmother owned as 'just junk.' I mean no disrespect to you, but I only have 3 items that belonged to my grandmother, none are really valuable money wise, but sentimentally they are priceless. She died before I was born, so I never got the opportunity to know her in person.

Welcome to the forum. Breezie

Upvote 0
I know it's confusing going through old family things and trying to figure out what might be not-so-obvious family heirlooms, but I tend to agree with Breezie for different reasons. Don't get rid of anything, until you are absolutly sure of what it is and it's value, both in dollars and what it might mean to someone in the family (your family might be your best source of information). As for your silverware, a good place to start about basic silver knowledge is here: Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Upvote 0
Yes I agree that some of those things could be junk to some people but Breezie is right about what she said . And I can tell you with about 99% certainty that your flatware is Silver Plated . The only real silver that the William Rodgers Company ever made was flatware out of coin silver and that marking was hand stamped onto the handles and sort of indented frame and the lettering was raised out , also there should have been a Eagle and a Arrow or Star on each side of the markings .
I have learned the hard way . William Rodgers son bought the name somewhere around 1848-49 and even was allowed to stamp 800 along with the Rodgers logo . And it's well known that 800 is supposed to represent the silver content and mislead many people ... but remember what your Grandma owned isn't junk just because it not sterling . IMHO
Woodstock

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input everyone! As for the junk part, I can see your point... My Grandmas exact words were, before she passed on, Heres a few old JUNK forks if you dont want them throw them away... Believe me I treasure the things she passed on to me, and sorry if my words came off the way they did, they were not ment in a bad way... Jason

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input everyone! As for the junk part, I can see your point... My Grandmas exact words were, before she passed on, Heres a few old JUNK forks if you dont want them throw them away... Believe me I treasure the things she passed on to me, and sorry if my words came off the way they did, they were not ment in a bad way... Jason

Good deal! :icon_thumright: Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back