Possible Silver or Platinum Rock

aftershock

Greenie
Dec 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all, this is my first post here although I've been reading here a lot recently. I just got pretty serious into the art of metal detecting.

I got a strong reading on my metal detector that I thought was iron so I turned the discrimination up to around an 8 and still got a good reading. The rock was about 6-7 inches under. I used the hydrogen peroxide test for bubbles to eliminate aluminum and it weighs around 2.8 ounces on a digital scale. Also, where my shovel struck the rock it was a bright silver color, but as it sat in the hydrogen peroxide test it turned a greyish color. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

r07chw.jpg

Gecko said:
will your knife mark it? it sure looks like lead.
Cheers

When I press down hard enough with a sharp metal object it does "scar" it and it's bright silver at that point.

Upvote 0
Gecko said:
will your knife mark it? it sure looks like lead.
Cheers

90% you're totally right. After other's input and the ease of the marking of it, it does seem to be lead. Was just the first rock I've found with a metal detector.. then reading threads saw a trick about distinguishing between silver and platinum with bubbles floating off the object with peroxide got me a bit excited. Thanks for the response though.

Upvote 0
I get stuff that looks like that all the time. Mine are remnants of aluminum cans tossed in a campfire. Hopefully yours is different.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back