All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 156
Its not real, sorry. I seriously doubt that its even silver. Usually these are sold at tourist attractions and are made of pot metal with a shiny nickel plating. Some of the better tourist souvenirs are pewter. This is not a good one but IMO a lot more fun than finding a zinc penny and it makes your heart skip a beat. If you have any doubts you could post it in TN's Spanish Cob forum. Im sure they will tell you the same.

Upvote 0
Do the quick easy silver test. Place the edge of the coin on a ice cube. If it takes 2-4 seconds for your finger tips to feel the cold it's silver. Any longer and its some kind of junk metal. It's a easy start to find out if it's junk or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Its a very cheap cast replica copy and thats obvious so it wasnt meant to deceive anybody. I find it hard to believe that they would use silver to make such a poor replica. If you found it while diving, it wasnt there very long because pot metal corrodes quickly. Im curious if someone may be seeding the area for tourists. Could this be possible or was this a beach find? Or maybe somebody just tossed it overboard and you happened to find it? Could you please give us some more information? But take your time. Inquiring minds want to know lol. thanks..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it supposed to be a replica of a Pistareen. These can be found in the original 13 colonies. http://numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf

Here is an example of some genuine Pistareens. In comparison you should be able to see how poor of a replica you have found. Like I said it wasnt manufactured to deceive and because its so poor of a replica, its probably not silver. These can be purchased in tourist areas for a couple bucks and I have found a few replicas myself on the beach.

spanish pistareens.jpgspanish replica copy.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it turns out to be silver than its a fake meant to deceive. The pictures do kinda look like new silver. Well I hope this helps. If you look on the edge you will probably see a casting seam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you finding these coins with metal detectors?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you finding these coins with metal detectors?

Yes BigCypressHunter, we use an underwater metal detector... the Vibra-Tector 730 which is great for snorkel hunting which is what we mostly do. It's nothing fancy or super elaborate or anything, only water proof to 30' but it gets the job done and if it's good enough for Mel Fisher, then it's good enough for me, lol :)

Upvote 0
This is the First Spanish Cob I ever found while on the Freedom. Just so glad I was able to capture it on camera!!!!!image.jpg

Upvote 0
Please read the rules as they are very clear. You may not advertise services or goods without becoming a charter member first. We do this to avoid spam for the members. We are glad you are finding coins. You will find the foremost experts here on Identification of coins or pretty much any item.

We are a Treasure forum/community.
Welcome.

Upvote 0
Sorry about my manners. Welcome to Treasurenet. I'm only here to ID the items and asking questions is part of the process. I had no idea someone might be trying to promote their treasure hunting charter adventures. If this was promotion for a treasure hunting adventure, I guess it kinda backfired. Sorry about that.

I stand by my original identification that its a modern replica. Who or why it was made or how it got under the boat is anybody's guess. Like I said, I have found these tourist replicas on the beach myself because tourists buy them and often lose them or throw them away. I have purchased them myself and I have also found them on the beach. Mine are shiny nickel coated pot metal. I would suggest to search the local shops in the BVI's and see if they are selling it. I did a quick search online but couldn't find an exact match.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BVI is probably a great place to metal detect. If I had the money, I would go. Just sayin.

But I think AlabamaRelic was just asking a question.

Upvote 0
Thank you BigCypress. :) We figured it was a fake because there was nothing identifiable on it... no numbers, letters, or typical things from pirate era cobs with lions or columns or anything... we were just hoping it might be something. And it wasn't found directly under out boat, we took our dinghy to one of our favorite catch basins that seems to be a great place for crashing waves from storms catch all the heavy metal goodies in the points of sand between all the big boulders.

And for the record since for some reason it seems to be such a big concern of everyone in here... I don't need treasure hunting trips to survive. Our charters sell out every year. We are the #1 rated big sailing charter yacht in the Virgin Islands. The ONLY reason I like doing treasure hunting trips is because that is my hobby too. But we'll fill up our season's calendar with scuba divers and kite surfers and the business will be the same as it always is... full. The only difference is that it would be nice to do more treasure hunting trips since those are the most fun for me. LOL

Sorry about my manners. Welcome to Treasurenet. I'm only here to ID the items and asking questions is part of the process. I had no idea someone might be trying to promote their treasure hunting charter adventures. If this was promotion for a treasure hunting adventure, I guess it kinda backfired. Sorry about that.

I stand by my original identification that its a modern replica. Who or why it was made or how it got under the boat is anybody's guess. Like I said, I have found these tourist replicas on the beach myself because tourists buy them and often lose them or throw them away. I have purchased them myself and I have also found them on the beach. Mine are shiny nickel coated pot metal. I would suggest to search the local shops in the BVI's and see if they are selling it. I did a quick search online but couldn't find an exact match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thank you BigCypress. :) We figured it was a fake because there was nothing identifiable on it... no numbers, letters, or typical things from pirate era cobs with lions or columns or anything... we were just hoping it might be something. And it wasn't found directly under out boat, we took our dinghy to one of our favorite catch basins that seems to be a great place for crashing waves from storms catch all the heavy metal goodies in the points of sand between all the big boulders.

And for the record since for some reason it seems to be such a big concern of everyone in here... I don't need treasure hunting trips to survive. Our charters sell out every year. We are the #1 rated big sailing charter yacht in the Virgin Islands. The ONLY reason I like doing treasure hunting trips is because that is my hobby too. But we'll fill up our season's calendar with scuba divers and kite surfers and the business will be the same as it always is... full. The only difference is that it would be nice to do more treasure hunting trips since those are the most fun for me, LOL Also, I am trying to erase my signature since for some reason it seems people don't want to know what other people do in this forum... so strange to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
We figured it was a fake because there was nothing identifiable on it... no numbers, letters, or typical things from pirate era cobs with lions or columns or anything... we were just hoping it might be something. And it wasn't found directly under out boat, we took our dinghy to one of our favorite catch basins that seems to be a great place for crashing waves from storms catch all the heavy metal goodies in the points of sand between all the big boulders.
Somebody tossed it in the water. It happens. Actually it does have letters and lions and castles but the casting is poor. I used to have a database of these types to help identify fakes, replicas and fantasy coins that members find. With my experience I recognized it in one second. But there are way too many replica copies being manufactured. This may be a new one. But compare with the Pistareens I posted and you may recognize the shield and mint mark similarities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back