Possible Shoe Buckle?

It certainly wouldn't be typical, and lacking curature.
Based solely on that logic tells me no.
But hey I'm no expert, no idea of age either.

by all accounts its a double loop trapezodial buckle, post medieval 1620-1680 thats what it said on a link sent to me

by all accounts its a double loop trapezodial buckle, post medieval 1620-1680 thats what it said on a link sent to me
That is exactly what it is Russ.:thumbsup: A good sign from the area it come from.

SS

what other things could i possibly find from the same era?

More buckles, coins, buttons and probably many more relics. You won't know until you get the coil over the ground. Keep us updated.

sure will, thanks all...

Yeap 17th C, might be hammered nearby. I think this is a spur buckle (might be wrong).

Sweet old buckle. As stated above, indicative of how old the site may be. Definitely more there to be found. Hunt the area slowly and carefully and you'll do well there. :thumbsup:

Your find is definitely a trapezoidal buckle. Below is a pic from the book "Buckles 1250-1800" by Whitehead showing a similar example although yours is a bit smaller. As others have said, this definitely dates to the 17th century and was likely used for buckling spurs as Crusader already mentioned. Should be some other early finds at that site as well. Nice find!

trapezoidal buckle.jpg

thanks everyone for all the advice I ll take my time and cover everything, its a large area, nicely grazed by sheep , on the edge of an ancient track so am looking forward to it.will keep you posted

ta mate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back