Aug 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• post-15947-0-00339100-1407194772.jpg
    post-15947-0-00339100-1407194772.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
I don't know what it is, or how it was formed, but the grooves look more 'V" shaped, instead of "U" shaped as I would expect for a used abrader?

Id have to say it is probably a sediment stone that at one time was mud. Many years ago while it was still mud some sticks fell into it and then later rotted away as the stone turned hard as we see it today. Still a cool rock and it would make a interesting conversation piece.

Ttantalo, I'm sticking with my reply in the what is it forum when I guessed that it's a sinew scraper /shaper. The one I found is made of soapstone so abrasiveness means nothing to me. By the way I found mine just an hour or two south of lake Ontario

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

my first thought was not abrader

i thought a sharpening stone for sharpening bone awls

probably wrong but just sayin'

I'm sure a lot of these things saw many different uses. Might have even been used for shaping beads

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I found a similar piece about 50 yards off of a lake shore. When I posted, most of you called my piece an abrader.

image-1497606625.jpg

image-630118938.jpg

May have been used as a shaft straightener, heated dart/arrowshafts were then straightened on them to take any bends out.

If it was used for anything shouldn't there be a discolor to the areas where it was used? Just saying I don't see any myself and if you enlarge it. It doesn't show it from where I am sitting I actually see some cracks in the line areas. I might be wrong IDK teach me something.

Like Steve, I thought maybe bone awl sharpening grooves. For comparison, this is a sharpening stone and the grooves are bone awl sharpening grooves. The deepest one is V shaped. As the groove deepened, the user would be rubbing the bone along the sides of the groove, eventually producing a V shaped groove as it deepened. In the last photo, the long smooth edge of the stone at the top in that photo was utilized as a whetstone to sharpen the bits on hardstone tools most likely.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 88
Nice example Charl I see the use wear on yours.

There is a difference between an abrading stone, and a shaft abrader.[/QUOT

i can only speak about what we find in my area so i could be wrong

an abrading stone is a sharpening stone to do tasks such as sharpening bone awls, grinding a base of a point, smoothing the sides of an ornament......etc

shaft abraders were used in pairs....(one on top and one on bottom with the shaft held through the center and worked back and forth)

shaft straighteners are different...they are a wrench..(arrowshaft wrench)..... and were of bone or wood with a hole drilled through to place the shaft so it could be bent (straightened)......
..............after being heated with moisture applied to the right area of the shaft

i hope i am making sense...if you disagree i am cool with your opinions and will hear them with an open mind and respect.....
...i don't mean to be long winded here but i think this is a long overlooked topic......so i hope we can continue this thread with some good result(s)

steve
larson1951

for starters my idea of an abrading stone for sharpening awls or grinding bases of arrow points..........i will try to find and post images of shaft abrader set (pair)......and a shaft wrench (straightener)....hope this helps

IMG_0309.jpg IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0311.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back