Possible oil lamp thumb wheel?

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi everyone. I'd like to know if this is an oil lamp thumb wheel, or just a piece of modern era junk. It was found about 2 inches deep in an area that contained numerous finds from the early to mid 1920s. I tried to clean it as best I could, but it is badly corroded, and I cannot see any lettering/manufacturers name info on it due to the rust/corrosion. Any ideas/help are appreciated. Pics below, thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 299.jpg
    Picture 299.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Picture 300.jpg
    Picture 300.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 299.jpg
    Picture 299.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 309
  • Picture 300.jpg
    Picture 300.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 308
Since no markings of any kind are visible in its current un-claned condition, you might want to try gently cleaning some of the dirt-crud off at least one side of it. The item looks somewhat like crud-covered aluminum, or some other "white-metal."

You showed us a frontview and a backview. But, what is the item's diameter? Also, what is its thickness? It reminds me of a four-hole "longjohns" underwear button like we dig in civil war campsites ...often made of tin-plated iron, but sometimes zinc, or brass. But in it's current crud-covered condition, I don't see any holes in it.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Since no markings of any kind are visible in its current un-claned condition, you might want to try gently cleaning some of the dirt-crud off at least one side of it. The item looks somewhat like crud-covered aluminum, or some other "white-metal."

You showed us a frontview and a backview. But, what is the item's diameter? Also, what is its thickness? It reminds me of a four-hole "longjohns" underwear button like we dig in civil war campsites ...often made of tin-plated iron, but sometimes zinc, or brass. But in it's current crud-covered condition, I don't see any holes in it.

Item has been cleaned already. The "crud" you refer to is corrosion, not dirt. Item does appear to be some sort of "shiny" metal (aluminum maybe...not sure)..... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Is it flat like a coin? Are the edges serrated? No idea from the current info. Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back