Possible Meteorite?

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello T-Net!
So was out metal detecting in the woods, and got a choppy signal on my Minelab SE pro. Dug it, and this guy popped out. My Pro pointer will not pick it up, my At gold will...but calls it a 00 signal.
It's also rather magnetic, it sticks to a typical refrigerator magnet. Took a good amount of pictures, let me know if you guys need anymore pictures ;) and thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Also just wanna say make sure you check yourselves good for ticks, recently found out I have Lyme disease and I'm getting a spinal tap next week to see if it's got into the nervous system.

DSC_0124.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0130.JPG

Very Possibly. Under magnification do you pockmarks in it's surface? And it should have a high specific gravity if nickel iron meteorite.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying :), it does have pockmarks, but they are rather small. Closely resemble this picture 11029346_1.jpg, which I found on google. I'm not sure how to check the specific gravity, but it's very heavy for it's size.

Upvote 0
One thing to rule out would be iron mines or smelting operations in your area. I eyeballed my first and only one in the desert outside Las Vegas, in the middle of nowhere sitting black and pretty on top of the white sand.

Upvote 0
It has a lot about it that looks like a real meteorite. This one in my hand was in the office of a fella, I deal with in business. He travels the world in search of mineral specimens, as that is his business. He goes to China like 6 times a year to hunt down and buy rock and mineral specimens. They do around 7 million a year providing specimens of rocks, gems and minerals to retail shops around the world. This chunk of meteorite he purchase in Namibia as he goes there also to buy rocks. He has phenomenal stuff in their warehouse.

Attachments

• meterorite.jpg
    meterorite.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
I believe there is a place you can send to have tested. I just remember reading of a place that gets thousands sent to them and a very small amount turn out to be meteor. Not trying to sound negative just that it must be inexpensive to do if so many turn out to be false...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back