🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Possible meteorite please help me ID

Snowgoose212

Aug 3, 2023
I picked this up on family land in Northern South Dakota. This came from my grandfather's farmyard which is largely unused. The surrounding property is leased but this area is fenced and gated and no one really enters this area since my grandfather's death. I was there last week and spotted this sitting in an area that was driven in a lot so there was no grass growing in that hard packed area.

Can anyone tell me if this for sure is a meteorite? It's brown, very smooth and shiny and obviously has certain features on it that give it that melted look. My friend wouldn't believe me I didn't spray pain it. It is magnetic and very heavy. In total it weighs 1424 grams. It has the speckled inclusions all over it. I have rock identifying app which varies each time I take a picture but it will say it's 74-88% meteorite and that is contains varying degrees of good, silver, nickle, iron and some other minerals. There is chip out of the outer coating which is like thin shell about one mm thick or so. My guess is a type of achondrite chrystsline but if anyone can tell me more or if I am simply wrong that would be awesome. I am new to this site and am excited to be here as I have always loved a good treasure hunt!
IMG_20230731_102636.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_102712.jpg
    IMG_20230731_102712.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Welcome to Tnet.

I would say you have some kind of iron oxide nodule or concretion with a weathering rind, in this kind of territory:

Likely to be principally hematite but, if attracted to a magnet, will have a proportion of magnetite since hematite is non-magnetic. They're frequently a mixture of iron oxides. I don't think there's any kind of rock identifying app which can give you elemental compositions of metallic items. They just rely on physical appearance and visual matching to a library of specimens.... but 'rely' and 'matching' are a bit of a stretch since there are many terrestrial geological items which can have the superficial surface appearance of a meteorite.

[Note also that there are no meteorites which contain gold or silver in anything other than extremely low trace amounts]

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back