Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what this is...

you can plainly see "NN" at the bottom and a wreath pattern also.

found it where I found my cannonballs and match safe by a old Acadian foundation from the 1700s.

2013-10-02 21.56.26.jpg2013-10-02 21.58.09.jpg2013-10-02 22.32.18.jpg

It looks like a very old lead bale seal, maybe 18th century based on the design.
I tried looking up "Canadian lead seal" but all I get are pictures of hunters beating baby seals with lead pipes.
Then I looked up "Canadian lead bale seals" and got better images but couldn't find one like yours.

Upvote 0
I can see the 'N'. It appears to be backwards, which would make your relic an impression of a coin. I also see the leaves and berries of the wreath. Don't know what coin... Could it say BRITANNIA?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Here is a zoomed negative mirror image of the item.

DCMatt

Attachments

• leadpenny_mirror_negative.jpg
    leadpenny_mirror_negative.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
Maybe someone tried to make their own lead seal using a period coin.

Upvote 0
I think it is an impression of an early US Half Cent.

DCMatt

Attachments

• leadpenny_compare.jpg
    leadpenny_compare.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Colonial-era Silly Putty lol

Upvote 0
It looks like a very old lead bale seal, maybe 18th century based on the design.
I tried looking up "Canadian lead seal" but all I get are pictures of hunters beating baby seals with lead pipes.
Then I looked up "Canadian lead bale seals" and got better images but couldn't find one like yours.

Without starting another debate altogether,,,,,
I googled " Canadian lead seal" and DID NOT get pics seals being beaten with lead pipes
Seals are culled and killed humanely( questionable) but still, other hunted species are killed in less desirable ways too

Hell you don't necessarily need a high powered rifle with a scope to take down a fricken deer, I done it with a minivan doing 40 and he seen it coming, Detroit steel vs Canadian lead pipe, I'll bet Bambi would have picked the pipe not the Ford, and that sure wasn't humane

Upvote 0
So they are bats not lead pipes, don't be so anal.

Attachments

• seals1.jpg
    seals1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
I could be seeing things but it sure looks like part of the word "united". Also can see what faintly looks like wreaths. Large or half cent impression?? :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back