invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, found this iron artifact near where a water-powered textile mill once stood in the first half of the 19th century. It measures about 7 3/4" L x 1 1/4" H x 1 3/4" W and no marks appear on it. I thought it could be a handle for some sort of valve, door, or stove. If possible, please ID and approximate the age. Thanks-in-advance.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 50
Maybe a valve handle?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's a wrench for a farm tractor, the end on the right has been broken. :thumbsup:
I find these in the fields occasionally.

Dave

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 39
  • fd-6-Antique-Farm-Tractor-Wagon-Buggy-Wrench-_57.jpg
    fd-6-Antique-Farm-Tractor-Wagon-Buggy-Wrench-_57.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it's a wrench for a farm tractor, the end on the right has been broken. :thumbsup:
I find these in the fields occasionally.

Dave

All thanks for your inputs so far and to Dave who nailed the ID! Since the graphic Dave added mentions buggy wrenches, would they date as far back as the first half of the 19th century or did they come later?

Upvote 0
There were a few special wrenches as far back as the 1700's. By the mid 1800's to 1900 this type of wrench was on most all farms. Later when tractors came, steam(and later gasoline), more modern tools came also.
All thanks for your inputs so far and to Dave who nailed the ID! Since the graphic Dave added mentions buggy wrenches, would they date as far back as the first half of the 19th century or did they come later?

Upvote 0
There were a few special wrenches as far back as the 1700's. By the mid 1800's to 1900 this type of wrench was on most all farms. Later when tractors came, steam(and later gasoline), more modern tools came also.

Tony, thanks for the range of dates. I'll mark this as SOLVED :-)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back