🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Possible Grooved Axe

Sweetlc13

Aug 11, 2024
My grandfather, W. Reid McKee (born and raised in Mt. Sterling, Montgomery County, KY) at one time owned the second largest Civil War collection. He co-wrote a couple of books on Civil War projectiles. My mother, his only child, only keep a few items and has decided to possibly sell some. There are two what I believe to be Native American Grooved Axes. However, having no knowledge on this the artifacts nor time period, can anyone share any insight about them?

Attachments

• IMG_20240811_191941.jpg
    IMG_20240811_191941.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240811_191857.jpg
    IMG_20240811_191857.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240811_191831.jpg
    IMG_20240811_191831.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240811_191929.jpg
    IMG_20240811_191929.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
My grandfather, W. Reid McKee (born and raised in Mt. Sterling, Montgomery County, KY) at one time owned the second largest Civil War collection. He co-wrote a couple of books on Civil War projectiles. My mother, his only child, only keep a few items and has decided to possibly sell some. There are two what I believe to be Native American Grooved Axes. However, having no knowledge on this the artifacts nor time period, can anyone share any insight about them?
McKee, as in McKee and mason? If so that’s a very cool lineage. Can’t weigh in too much in the stones, other than to say they look like artifacts to me. One of them was marked….any idea if your grandfather kept a list with corresponding id #s? Would likely be a great help in identifying what they are and where they originated.

Upvote 0
McKee, as in McKee and mason? If so that’s a very cool lineage. Can’t weigh in too much in the stones, other than to say they look like artifacts to me. One of them was marked….any idea if your grandfather kept a list with corresponding id #s? Would likely be a great help in identifying what they are and where they originated.
Yes, I think Mason was the co-author. My grandfather kept data, records, and notes that even as a young girl I thought it was impressive. Unfortunately, my grandmother was not interested in keeping any of his collections nor be bothered with dealing with getting rid of them. So, she had an auction to sell pretty much everything. As an adult, I guess I understand but it's still upsetting. So, to answer your question, we do not have any records. I appreciate your message and it's neat you know of my grandfather.

Upvote 1
these look legit and of a very common shape. for more information, just google it!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back