Aug 25, 2004
Northern Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello fellow diggers-

My buddy and I went out yesterday digging in the western part of Virginia to a new site, n I dug what I believe to be a civil war era bugle mouth piece. Don't know if Confederate or Union but seems in good shape and it appears to be made out of brass.I also dug a big wad of melted lead, my buddy dug a triangular shaped dropped bullet and I dug this mouth piece. The are area dates well prior to the civil war, just don't know if this is period which I suspect it is. We will have to do further research on the site to confirm any/all noted civil war activity on this new site. If this is indeed period, would be my first-so pretty cool find. The fired .58s and small .22/.21 caliber bullets were found in a different area prior to our digging at this site yesterday.

The width of the bell mouthpiece is exactly .75 inches, and there are no discernible markings/writing anywhere. Any civil war bugle mouthpiece experts out there?

Thanks

HH

Wayne

Attachments

• DSCN0117.JPG
    DSCN0117.JPG
    629.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0118.JPG
    DSCN0118.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN0119.JPG
    DSCN0119.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN0120.JPG
    DSCN0120.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 158
I had this discussion with a Beu on here....I thought they were candle stick holders,and with some research,I was wrong...

Upvote 0
Here is one from the another forum in 2010. Very similar to yours.

DCMatt

Attachments

• bugle.jpg
    bugle.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
Yes, that is in fact a mouthpiece for a bugle. :icon_thumright:

Years ago, I also dug one of similar shape and design, right in a Confederate camp along with Confederate buttons, and other military items.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Normally you find them bugle pieces in trash pits... did all those relics come out right in the same spot as the bugle piece?

Upvote 0
Normally you find them bugle pieces in trash pits... did all those relics come out right in the same spot as the bugle piece?

Not so .. I have found them all by their lonesome in the middle of a field, and I have found one in a spring-head box where the 140th PA camped. I think I have 5 or so in my collection, none of which came from a trash pit.

Upvote 0
The hunk of melted lead and the bugle mouth piece came from a new site we hunted after first hunting earlier in the day. The fired bullets in the pic were recovered earlier in the day from a different site. We will be revisiting this new site and will report any/all notable recoveries. I almost threw this away thinking it was a dresser pull or something similar, so glad I didn't. Don't know if Yankee or Confederate but still my first -pretty cool.

Wayne

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back