✅ SOLVED Possible Cartridge from Civil War Site

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thoughts?

73D577DA-171E-403E-856A-9BF06BE50FCD.jpegFE5ACD2C-5102-4A65-8F4B-7B5A08C1F28C.jpeg

Hard to tell from those pix, judging from your thumb as a reference, maybe a .58 rim fire conversion???

Upvote 0
Your pics seem to focus on everything but the things you want to ID

Upvote 0
Fullstock may be correct. If it is indeed a (squashed) civil war yankee .54 Burnside Carbine cartridge-casing, its "flared" lip has been neatly cut off. If it's not a Burnside, it may be a civil war US .50 Gallagher Carbine cartridge-casing. See the photos below. Note that the bottom of the Gallagher casing is more rounded than the Burnside's bottom.

Also, please note, the Gallagher casing bottom being distinctly wider than the Burnside's bottom, and to my eyes the bottom of ColtsPop's find looks wider (compare it with his finger's width), my vote is for Gallagher

Because it does look more than slightly "squashed"... ColtsPop, since you can hold it in your hand and compare it with these photos in real-life, please do so, and tell us whether you think it matches up with either one of these photos... or neither.

Attachments

• cartridge_Burnside_54-caliber_non-dug.jpg
    cartridge_Burnside_54-caliber_non-dug.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 66
  • cartridge_Gallagher-50-Carbine_nondug_photobyHenrique.jpg
    cartridge_Gallagher-50-Carbine_nondug_photobyHenrique.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because it does look more than slightly "squashed"... ColtsPop, since you can hold it in your hand and compare it with these photos in real-life, please do so, and tell us whether you think it matches up with either one of these photos... or neither.

It is flat. If I had to guess, because it doesn’t appear larger on one end than the other, I would say the photo on the right, Gallagher. Do you have a photo of the bottom of one?

Upvote 0
ColtsPop wrote:
> If I had to guess, because it doesn’t appear larger on one end than the other, I would say the photo on the right, Gallagher. Do you have a photo of the bottom of one?

Sorry, no, I don't. But you said your cartridge-casing "doesn’t appear larger on one end than the other"... which eliminates a Burnside casing and confirms its ID is Gallagher.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back