Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2016
South of the Mason-Dixon line.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is This A Cannonball?

Hey, guys. I came across something a couple days ago that has me really excited. I believe and I'm hoping that it is a cannonball. I'm not totally sure. It feels solid and heavy. I put it on a digital scale twice and it weighed 30 pounds the first time and 31 pounds the second time so I'm not sure of the exact weight. I measured it across using a straight stick ruler and got a measurement around 6 inches wide. It has a quite a bit of rust/corrosion. It also has a hole with with what appears to be threads inside but I don't see an opening at the bottom of it. I'm not sure if someone drilled it recently to see if it was hollow or what the deal with that is. I've seen a couple of Revolutionary War era cannonballs that look just like what I have. I'm really excited about this because if it is a cannonball, it will be my first one. I have attached some pictures. Appreciate the help or info, guys. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160329_165258copy.jpg
    20160329_165258copy.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20160329_165305copy2.jpg
    20160329_165305copy2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20160329_165316copy3.jpg
    20160329_165316copy3.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20160329_165323copy4.jpg
    20160329_165323copy4.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Looks like a Civil War era shell Buried somewhere here on TNet is a full listing of the weights and sizes. Welcome.

Upvote 0
31 lbs? is it hollow? You said there appears to be threads in the hole which looks rather small.

Upvote 0
No, I don't think it's hollow. It feels pretty solid and heavy. Also, I don't see an opening at the bottom of the hole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it could be a cannonball. My question is you said you found it. However, you also think someone could have drilled it RECENTLY? You think they drilled it then buried it? Very puzzling. British cannonballs were 32lbs and 6.36 inches. Sounds legit to be a cannonball. I thought most had a seam around the middle, but I am no expert

British Cannonball Sizes

Upvote 0
Allow me to correct myself, I came across it. I metal detect but I also work at a recycling place where a lot of antiques and treasure sadly get thrown away. I was just fortunate enough to be at work when this thing came in. I immediately thought it was a cannonball. I hope that's what this turns out to be. I appreciate all your help though, friend.

Upvote 0
Allow me to correct myself, I came across it. I metal detect but I also work at a recycling place where a lot of antiques and treasure sadly get thrown away. I was just fortunate enough to be at work when this thing came in. I immediately thought it was a cannonball. I hope that's what this turns out to be. I appreciate all your help though, friend.

Thank you for the clarification. I hope it does for you also. I traded a WW1 bomb I found for two cannon balls at a scrapyard only to find out they were shotput!! LOL live and learn. I have found 5 bombs so I am not out anything.

Upvote 0
A Civil War solid shot 32 pounder should be 6.25" in diameter and weight 32.4 Lbs.

The diameter should be measured with calipers, digital if you have access to one or regular calipers and then measure the calipers with a ruler, check it in several places it shouldn't vary too much if at all in diameter, it also should have a seam line.

Cannon bore, shot, and shell diameters for smoothbore guns

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No problem, friend. You'd be surprised the treasure people throw away at scrap yards. I've been detecting for a couple of years now and I've found lot of modern change, silver coins, some jewelry, and a lot of Civil War relics like bullets and buttons but I have never found any cannonballs yet. That's why I'm hoping this turns out to be the real thing.

Upvote 0
Thanks! I will try to weigh it accurately again. The digital scale I weighed it on was pretty big and might have been a little off. But judging by the corrosion and missing pieces, I think some of the original weight on this thing could be gone. I'll also try to measure it around again. When I measured it with the straight ruler, it was around 6 inches across. Maybe a little bit more.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you have a real one. I have absolutely no idea what else an iron ball that large would be used for. Maybe others will chime in. Does it have a seam anywhere around the middle of it or part of a seam? The rust might have ate it away. Maybe someone drilled and threaded a hole in it so they could screw it on a base for a display? Always a possibility.

I bet you do find lots of interesting things where you work. I will trade you two shot put for it!!

Upvote 0
I sure hope it's a real one. That's what I was thinking about that threaded hole. Maybe someone was gonna mount it somewhere for display or use it in some kind of project. It does have quite a bit of rust. I haven't looked very closely for a seam but I will check for that tomorrow as well. But yes, lots of antiques come in a scrap yard. Some of the stuff people throw away is unbelievable. As far as trading this thing goes, if it turns out to be the real thing I'll probably save it. Haha. They don't make stuff like that anymore and it's sure getting hard to find.

Upvote 0
I co-wrote a educational article on how to distinguish an authentic (real) cannonball from non-authentic (civilian and industrial usage) iron balls. It contains detailed instructions and helpful photos. You can view it online for free, here:
SolidShotEssentialsMod

Here are several observations:
Many "iron" balls are actually made of steel, not cast-iron. No steel cannonballs were used in America. The large rust pits on your ball's surface prove it is made of cast-iron, not steel. That doesn't mean it is a cannonball, but it eliminates a possible disqualifier.

Based on the weight and diameter you report, your ball is definitely solid, not hollow. The only reasom for having a threaded hole in a SOLID ball is to enable you to mount it on something else, by screwing it onto a mounting pin.

Your ball's surface is seriously rust-corroded, but the hole isn't. That indicates the hole was made after the ball came out of the ground... and somebody made the threaded hole to mount it, perhaps on a display-stand.

In summary... I don't see anything that disqualifies your ball (from being a cannonball) in the photos or in the info you provided thus far. It now comes down to doing extremely precise measuring of your ball's exact weight AND its diameter... and comparing the measurements with the data in the historical cannonball size-&-weight charts, here:
www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

For instructions, please read the article at the link in this post's first paragraph.

Upvote 0
Thank you CannonballGuy for the reply and info. I will try to do more precise measurements and weigh the ball better. I sure hope it's the real thing. I definitely appreciate your help, friend!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back