DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a buffalo nickel in some change I looked through. Most of it was surfaced with a blackish brownish color and I couldnt see the date. i went ahead to use some silver cleaner to see if i could uncover what the date was, but when I finally got the spot where the date should of been revealed, there were no sings of it. im not sure if it was just corroded off or if the date was never there in the first place. Just wondering if it might be an error. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry, The date is one of the high spots on a buffalo nickel. It is common to not find a date. Still is a good find though.

John

Wore off dates on Buffalos are common. Check the back- is the "five cents" wore off as well? If it is, its probably a type 1 from 1913. If the "five cents" is still visible, and on a recessed background, its from a later date.

You can pick up some stuff called "Nic-a-date" at the coin shop. Its an acid of some sort that will bring back the date. It'll still be smooth, but at least you can find out what year it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back