South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200202_190929 (2).jpg

I dug this small brass piece yesterday at a 1700s home site. I am assuming it was part of some sort of crossed sword emblem (?) Not sure if the two are related, but a couple of years ago at the same home site I dug a brass wax seal with the owner's initials incorporated with a sail (in the shape of a boat). It's probably a long shot but could this be part of a British or Continental (or US) Navy officer's badge?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Great looking piece. I know someone here will be able to help out with a positive ID. Best of luck to you.

Upvote 0
I think you're correct in assuming it's a sword, just curious what the reverse side looks like? :icon_scratch:

I'm also certain someone here will recognize what you've found.

Dave

Attachments

• 20200202_190929 (2)-crop.jpg
    20200202_190929 (2)-crop.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0
I'm guessing it's part of a hat badge.

This one is not a match. I'm just showing the possibility:

brit hat badges.jpg

The circled one is Royal Westmoreland - from WWII.

I also saw a turn of the 20th C Rifleman's badge from the Philippines with a similar sword handle.

Upvote 0
I agree it's a sword, don't think it's British?

Upvote 0
Thanks Dave. The reverse side is a mirror image of the front.

Upvote 0
Wow now that's a cool piece should be fun to research it I assume it's rare if it hasn't been identified yet. Well done

Upvote 0
Or it could be a stylized cross. The "P" with a cross is an ancient religious symbol. American units for the most part did not have hat badges or cartridge box badges, with the exception of some South Carolina units with a crescent badge.

Upvote 0
Or it could be a stylized cross. The "P" with a cross is an ancient religious symbol. American units for the most part did not have hat badges or cartridge box badges, with the exception of some South Carolina units with a crescent badge.

When I first dug it thought cross with a P. But it looks more like a sword handle to me.

Upvote 0
Hmmmmmmmmmm... Tau Rho Christian pendant...

il_570xN.1670950456_muv1.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back