Porcelain Occupied Japan statues

PChammer

Jun 11, 2010
Hi all,

I just got back from a two week vacation, found these little statues on the way. I searched for any specifics on them, found numerous others but nothing exact yet. Of course there may not be an exact match but if anyone has any information on these it would be greatly appreciated.

They are both from occupied Japan. The girl stands about 5 1\4" tall, the boy is about 5" tall. Both seem porcelain, age unknown. Pics included.

Thank You,

Paul

Attachments

• P1130391.JPG
    P1130391.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 483
  • P1130396.JPG
    P1130396.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 550
  • P1130395.JPG
    P1130395.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 444
It dates between the end of WWII to April 1952 when the peace treaty was signed ending the Allied occupation of Japan. There are many items that are marked occupied Japan. There are specific collectors that collect only Occupied Japan items. Your items are fairly common, I have several little porcelain figures myself that are marked the same.

Upvote 0
Following the end of World War II in 1945 and until 1952, items imported from Japan to the United States had to be marked in a fashion indicating they came from Occupied Japan. Although four different marks were used on cups and saucers. During this time ("Japan," "Made in Japan ," "Occupied Japan," and "Made in Occupied Japan")were used,only the last two marks guarantee the pieces were made in the Occupied Japan timeframe.

http://chinaminer.canadutch.ca/Occupied_Japan.php

Here are a few pieces very similar to yours :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fd6a66b&itemid=370415712169&ff4=263602_304652

http://compare.ebay.com/like/360351...fd6a66b&itemid=360351847023&ff4=263602_304662

Attachments

• Porcelain Occupied Japan figure.jpg
    Porcelain Occupied Japan figure.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 541
  • Porcelain Occupied Japan figures.jpg
    Porcelain Occupied Japan figures.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,562
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Your bisque figurines, as well as others, were made to 'look like' Hummels. Breezie

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The reason I originally got these was the fact that I was telling my wife how they reminded me of something my grandmother would have liked when she was alive. Being Italian, I called her Nana but not pronounced like it's spelled.

Long story short, when we looked at the bottom it said Nana from Paul, Christmas, which Paul is of course my name so my wife and I were sort of shocked to see that written on the bottom and decided to get them.

Looking at one of my Grandmother's letters, the writing is nearly identical if not close enough that it could be looked at as the same writing so it was just one of those weird coincidences but we are happy to have them.

Thanks again!

Paul

Upvote 0
PChammer said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The reason I originally got these was the fact that I was telling my wife how they reminded me of something my grandmother would have liked when she was alive. Being Italian, I called her Nana but not pronounced like it's spelled.

Long story short, when we looked at the bottom it said Nana from Paul, Christmas, which Paul is of course my name so my wife and I were sort of shocked to see that written on the bottom and decided to get them.

Looking at one of my Grandmother's letters, the writing is nearly identical if not close enough that it could be looked at as the same writing so it was just one of those weird coincidences but we are happy to have them.

Thanks again!

Paul

GREAT story Paul; I'm glad you found them. I'd like to think your Grandmother was saying 'hello,' and she was thinking about you. Breezie

Upvote 0
GREAT story Paul; I'm glad you found them. I'd like to think your Grandmother was saying 'hello,' and she was thinking about you. Breezie

I agree Breezie and thanks again ;-)

Upvote 0
It dates between the end of WWII to April 1952 when the peace treaty was signed ending the Allied occupation of Japan. There are many items that are marked occupied Japan. There are specific collectors that collect only Occupied Japan items. Your items are fairly common, I have several little porcelain figures myself that are marked the same.
i have two statues identical to those. what would they be worth?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back