Pocket Watch Case?

detectorboy552

Jul 14, 2012
The Hallmark inside is a lion facing to the left, I have researched it and it seems to be a mark for Sterling. The object was originally brown, almost looked as if it were copper when I pulled it out of the ground. I figured it was junk until I researched the hallmark. I began polishing and it's turning silver colored, and it is shining. Any opinions or information would be appreciated.

~Hayden

Attachments

• image-1569143318.jpg
    image-1569143318.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 247
  • image-171424662.jpg
    image-171424662.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 252
  • image-616048386.jpg
    image-616048386.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 359
A rampant lion is the English mark for sterling but it is always used in conjunction with a letter mark for the date, another mark for the city it was assayed in, and usually a fourth mark for the maker. Your lion doesn't look rampant, and the lack of other marks beside it make me believe it is in fact not silver. Many watch cases in a silver color were nickel, or german silver, also known as white brass. German silver has no silver in it. The lion is probably a logo for the company that made the watch case.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, hope I can find the other half to it this Spring. It was one of the strange things I have found in my yard. HH
~Hayden

Upvote 0
Kind of big for a pocket watch. Could it be a ladies compact?

I agree. The shape and type of hinge lends itself more towards a compact than a pocket watch. The flat interior rim looks just like so many other compacts that have a mirror inserted there......

Upvote 0
That's what I had originally thought, but I had found parts to a pocket watch in the same general area in my yard which lead me to believe it was for the pocket watch. The size of the case and the size of the watch parts are close to equal. But considering I do not have the entire watch I can't really conclude that it is indeed a case for the watch. Here is a pic of them together.

Attachments

• image-3540170258.jpg
    image-3540170258.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 235
  • image-3683599617.jpg
    image-3683599617.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
It may be more of a antique travel clock if it doesn't fall in the measurement of a 16 or 18 size pocket watch. The movement or what's left of it, don't appear to be the plates of a nicely or even a modestly made jeweled pocket watch movement, but more like a small clock movement?

Upvote 0
I have collected a few pocket watches over the years and have read about them quite a bit. If you google English Fusee, you may find something on your watch. The Fusee was a large pocket watch. I have a smaller watch that has the same shield that appears in the center of the piece on your fingers in the photo and that shield seems to be used a lot. that said the face and works generally would have the makers name case usually has watch makers marks inside the inner
cover left by those who had worked on the watch. That's my tidbit I can contribute. I would think if that much was there there could be more unless the owner was tinkering with it and then tossed it.

That's what I had originally thought, but I had found parts to a pocket watch in the same general area in my yard which lead me to believe it was for the pocket watch. The size of the case and the size of the watch parts are close to equal. But considering I do not have the entire watch I can't really conclude that it is indeed a case for the watch. Here is a pic of them together.

Upvote 0
Below the lion I can see a serial number, and below that (close to the hinge) I'm sure I see lettering and a possible logo of sorts. I don't think it would hurt it any to clean up that area and see what's there. Butch is on to something with the fusee suggestion from what I see online.
I believe there is also a letter N up above the lion, for what that's worth

Upvote 0
Indeed! It very well could be a larger English lever escapement, fusee. The plates were mounted to 3 pillars at one time on that watch and small clock movements are constructed the same way. As for that hallmark just a lion without the English city & date hallmarks could still mean it's a silver mark from some other country like Austria, Lithuania...Who know? Gorham silver from Rhode Island used a lion on some silver. The Chinese I think even used a lion on some silver as it was internationally known as a mark for silver. The case cover does have a serial number and that I would say is something you find on most well made cases, plus I see some worn fancy engraving on it, that also found on good cases. I would have the case cover tested for being silver.

Attachments

• watch parts.jpg
    watch parts.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,438
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the suggestions and Information. It is very similar to designs I have seen when looking up fusee. I will also try to have it tested and keep posted.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back