Pocket watch and spoon

Scottdavid

Aug 27, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First finds of 2020! The silver spoon has Riverton Silver Co. on back A1 plus and Fredonia in cursive on front. I searched the web but can’t find anything Fredonia related but a town in NY. Any help with dating the pocket watch?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586615530.000793.jpg

Upvote 12
Ive found enough spoons forks and knives to set a table for a entire middle school not a silver one yet so congrats. Cant help with the pocket watch I have 6 or 7 cant open them lol nice hunt . Stay safe Tommy

Riverton Silver was a division of A.R. Justice of Philadelphia. Although Justice was in operation from 1880 to c1935, the Riverton Division went bust in 1899.

It was common for flatware manufacturers to offer their products engraved (or embossed, if the order was large enough) with the names of hotels, restaurants and other establishments, including ships. I would expect that this relatively small maker would be largely taking such orders from the surrounding localities, so you may just need to look for an establishment with that name (eg Fredonia Hotel or whatever) which was in operation at least sometime between 1880-1899 and not a million miles from Philadelphia. There is a Fredonia village in Pennsylvania as well as the one in NY and they’re both about the same distance from Philadelphia (although not exactly on its doorstep).

There were also many ships with that name, including at least one passenger liner operating out of New York but I didn’t find a likely one within that time frame.

Last edited:
Watch is called a "Dollar Watch" Because that was their price in the day Made from turn of the century until the 1950's Likely Ingersoll but could be westclox or even Sears Roebuck. They all looked pretty much the same so unless you can read the dial, thats it.

Redcoat, trdking - thank you so much for the extra information! I will search for Fredonia more in Philly area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back