Pocket knife and Something else?

drained

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2008
Hi Guys, First time posting here. Dug these up in my yard with my M6. Just wondering if anyone
can give me some info.

The Pocket knife has a tag that reads: "Hamilton, Keep the quality up".
I googled it but didnt find anything. If anyone can give me some kind of history
that would be great.

I also found some kind of ornate Hair pin possibly? It has a little buckle, and
the cross pin (pictured) was broken of. Again, any info on these items much appreciated.

Thanks, Neil.

Knife.JPGclip1.jpeg clip3.jpeg

the pocket knife....prolly a hamilton contract knife.....given to employees by another company...still lookin

Upvote 0
Hmm.. So from what I'm seeing, It looks like the knife is from another company, and they made these for the shoe company?

Upvote 0
I think it's an advertising pocket knife, rather than for the employees of the shoe company.
It's just that their slogan happens to sound like a pat on the back. I can find examples that look the same from other shoe companies, all without makers marks on the blade where we would expect them; 2 Buster Brown Shoes pocket knives, both w/brown staghorn sides.
and there are other styles of pocket knives that Hamilton put their name on, like; http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hamilton-brown-shoe-company-pocket-knife-st-louis which also include the aforementioned slogan

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I can tell from the photos, the 2nd item looks to be a Victorian Filigree piece. Depending on the size, it could be either a sash buckle, scarf buckle, or the likes. How is the cross piece attached on the back? Does it open like a pin/brooch or is it a solid bar that is permanent?

Judging by the 'hook' attachment at the top, and if the bar is/was solid, it is a buckle; either way, it's Victorian Filigree.

Neat find :) Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Breezie, Thank you so much for your reply. Yes the little cross bar attachment was was a solid piece. Any Idea what time period this might be from? I dont know what Victorian Filigree is, but I'm going to google it right now. Thanks again!

nhbenz, Thanks for the info on the knife. I hope I can clean it up enough to be able to open the blade. This thing looks pretty old! thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back