Please look at this and tell me what you think

mxdigger

Jun 30, 2013
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been trying to figure out this ID thing as far as Iding these points. I have one here that Looks like maybe something palo. I'm not going to say what I think it is just, I just want to get an idea from you experts. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    455.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 5
That's exactly what I was thinking, if it is a Sandia how did it get on the James River

Description of Physical Characteristics and Flaking Pattern:
Type I: This is a medium stemmed point with an elliptical cross section. The blade is excurvate with one blade extending down to the base of the point. The other blade has a weak shoulder that is at an upward angle. The stem may vary from straight to contracting. The base may range from convex to pointed. This point has a random flaking pattern. Type II points tend to have a higher quality of workmanship compared to Type I point.

I'm not saying it is or not. It's just the closes I could come up with on any of the ID web sites.
I've been hunting arrow points for a long time but never really got into the ID part of the hobby. A good portion of the points I found, I were found while either fossil or relic hunting. This point along with over half of the points and tools I had collected were in my building that burned to the ground. The ones I managed to find I threw in a box and forgot about them for almost 2 years. I just got to where I could even look at any of that stuff until a short time ago. Most of everything I dug out was covered with melted glass, plastic, soot, melted lead from the thousands of CW bullets I had in my relic room. Out of about 100 points I managed to dig out came fairly clean. This point along with about 25 other points were on the bottom shelf of a glass display case that was somewhat protected from the heat and this one came out fairly clean after it was soaked in a bleach solution for about a month.

Nice collection but no Paleo in the frame
These were what they looked like when I when I took them out of the building. The pics in my first post was the point in question after it was cleaned up. I never said it was paleo. I just said the Sandia point was the only thing in any of the ID sites that looked somewhat like my point in question. Any that I could find anyway.

Hard to tell. Pretty rough. The closest I can come would be a Poplar Island judging from the shoulders and the base length. Late archaic to early woodland.

Hard to tell. Pretty rough. The closest I can come would be a Poplar Island judging from the shoulders and the base length. Late archaic to early woodland.
Thanks, I can see your point. I had looked at that point on projectilepoint.net but when comparing pics of the two the point I have looks a little more like the Sandia although the stem does seem a little long by a few mm. After looking at it more I can see that there are possible rough serrations on the opposite side from the notch. Can't possibly say that is true because the blade is really worn like a lot of the points are on the James.
Creekside is probably right it may be some kind of multi-use tool, maybe a knife or scraper. It's really hard to get good pics of something like this and what I see with my eyes doesn't look exactly the same as what comes out of the camera. lol

Thanks, I can see your point. I had looked at that point on projectilepoint.net but when comparing pics of the two the point I have looks a little more like the Sandia although the stem does seem a little long by a few mm. After looking at it more I can see that there are possible rough serrations on the opposite side from the notch. Can't possibly say that is true because the blade is really worn like a lot of the points are on the James.
Creekside is probably right it may be some kind of multi-use tool, maybe a knife or scraper. It's really hard to get good pics of something like this and what I see with my eyes doesn't look exactly the same as what comes out of the camera. lol
Tool with a spokeshave on one side. You can call it a knife I find a few with the added spokeshave once in a while

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back