Please ID The Type Of Rife Or Carbine This Lock Plate Came From?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture 034.jpg
I posted pictures of this lock plate in todays finds a few weeks back. I have since partially cleaned it via electrolysis. I know the screw and the tumbler were part of the lock plate but I am curious if the 2 pieces above might be part of the same gun.

Spent many hours trying to locate the hammer but have been unsuccessful.

Picture 035.jpg

Picture 040.jpgPicture 039.jpg
Also recently found this brass piece of what I believe to be a piece of a trigger guard of another gun or maybe even the same one the side plate came from. Any help on this would be appreciated. I know their is a lot knowledgeable people on tnet.

I'm the last person who should be providing an answer, but that little bump on the top is somewhat unique. The Merrill rifle has a lock plate that looks very much like it.

Upvote 0
It appears to be the lock plate from a US Model-1835 Springfield Flintlock Musket. But on yours, the tip of the left end doesn't look as pointy as it should be. That might be just due to corrosion, or it might be from an earlier model. You asked about the other pieces. The sideplate escutcheon (long J-shaped flat piece which has a round hole at each end) looks right for the Model-1835. Compare with the diagram at this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1835
When you do that comparison, remember that your lock plate is missing the frizzen pan assembly, which fit into the notch on top of the plate in front of the hammer.

The brass piece of a trigger guard looks like a civil war era Enfield Model-P1853 Rifle.

Upvote 0
Not knowing the size, it could have come from a pistol. Tony

Very True.

I forgot the Ruler..

When I posted it in Today's Finds a few weeks back it had a measuring device beside it. (tho it was a-lot more rusted).

Upvote 0
Thank's for the Reply's esp, The Cannon Ball Guy.
It's dang Close to the 1835 IMO & the curved piece does look about right.

I have since found several more Iron 'Globs' that I have to cook to get some kind of Id ,of what they may have been from.

Thanks for the Great Info , Sure would love to find the hammer tho , but in time maybe I can get my Loop over some more of the gun. Thank's CBG on the Brass Trigger Guard info as well .
Davers

P.S. Sorry for the 'Dark ' Pictures , There are better ones on the Civil war site that I meant to post Here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back