🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Please help with this Indian war era item

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello- was out digging Indian war site in Montana today. Have been finding numerous buttons and ctg cases in 50-70 and 45-70. Found this today and need help finding what it is a lid to. It’s copper, measures 10” x 5.5” and is domed in profile . It’s clearly a lid to something and I’m wondering if it’s part of an IW or period pannier….. please see
Photos.
Thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• IMG_9844.jpeg
    IMG_9844.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9851.jpeg
    IMG_9851.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9850.jpeg
    IMG_9850.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9848.jpeg
    IMG_9848.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9849.jpeg
    IMG_9849.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9847.jpeg
    IMG_9847.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9846.jpeg
    IMG_9846.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9845.jpeg
    IMG_9845.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
Don't know if it is or not, but it looks like the lid to an old tobacco box.

Upvote 1
What time-frame was your site used? I have both Douglas McChristian books and I'll look through them to see if it's listed. Seems small for a pannier.

Upvote 1
Don't know what it is, but it looks like it could have been belt or strap mounted.
That’s a good observation- my thought is that is a handle, expandable since the inner ears allow it to slip in and out

Upvote 1
It’s 1867 thru 1888
I have quite a few reference books, but not all of them cover the IW period. I was able to find something that looks very similar, but I can't say for certainty it's a match. The item I found was a cover for a case that held field binoculars. I wouldn't say it's solved, but that might help with your research.

Upvote 0
I have quite a few reference books, but not all of them cover the IW period. I was able to find something that looks very similar, but I can't say for certainty it's a match. The item I found was a cover for a case that held field binoculars. I wouldn't say it's solved, but that might help with your research.
Do you have a photo? Would love to see it

Upvote 0
Do you have a photo? Would love to see it
Here they are. While I think the cases are made from thick leather, it appears the bottom is some type of metal and, in my opinion (without having ever seen one up close), some type of stiff material would be necessary for the case to hold its shape under field usage. I've looked at all the photos in my reference books for cartridge boxes as someone suggested it might be a lid for one of those....and it very well could be, but all the ones in my books have folded leather covers held in place by a catch (Google Dyer cartridge box for an example). As I said earlier, I'm not certain it was used on a binocular case, but those dimensions you listed certainly seem close to the width and depth of binoculars from that period.

Attachments

• 20230820_172739.jpg
    20230820_172739.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230820_172723.jpg
    20230820_172723.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 1
Here they are. While I think the cases are made from thick leather, it appears the bottom is some type of metal and, in my opinion (without having ever seen one up close), some type of stiff material would be necessary for the case to hold its shape under field usage. I've looked at all the photos in my reference books for cartridge boxes as someone suggested it might be a lid for one of those....and it very well could be, but all the ones in my books have folded leather covers held in place by a catch (Google Dyer cartridge box for an example). As I said earlier, I'm not certain it was used on a binocular case, but those dimensions you listed certainly seem close to the width and depth of binoculars from that period.
That is Very interesting and has merit-
Thanks very much

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back