Please help with ideas

JohnTags

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2024
Hi All,

I purchased a home in Staten Island, New York which was built in 1935. I noticed what I thought was an exterior wall actually is not. It's quite odd to have a false half cinder block and half brick wall that is not the exterior. I taped my phone to to a broom stick and have images of the room. I wonder if there is anything hidden in there as the home was built with this odd space intentionally created. There is no access to the area and I only got video by putting the broom stick between ceiling beams and filming the area. Any suggestions on ways I can check this space? It seems the area is either not full dug out or there is a false floor. Besides the construction material that canvas item has peeked my interest. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240807-111415_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807-111415_Photos.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20240808-195517_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808-195517_Video Player.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20240808-194712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808-194712_Gallery.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Photo_2024-08-08 19_29_12_854.JPG
    Photo_2024-08-08 19_29_12_854.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 59
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: NEW YORK for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - FWIW - I owned a very old home that had a fireplace on one wall. One day I had a roof leak so I climbed into the attic. While looking for roof leaks - I found an area around the fireplace that looked very similar. The space around the bricks (on 3 sides) looked just like that. I am sure a member(s) will pipe in shortly with another suggestion.

Upvote 2
First I'd go to the city's building department and see if there has been any building permits applied for and get a copy of them IF that has been done ! But on the first picture you posted I see a electrical line called "BX" that is flexible aluminum that has been installed and it is fairly current OR not that old. It would be interesting to hear / see what you come up with ! Maybe they just needed to add some support to the building to even out a unlevel floor ??

Upvote 3
Be sure to make a video if you do open it up. I was glued like a million others to the TV when this aired now 38 years ago. Though nothing was found I have to admit, I was really excited watching them takedown those old brick walls.

Attachments

• MV5BNTI3NjRjODUtYmE1NC00MjlmLThhYTYtNzczNWRjNWJlZDMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE3MTA1Mw@@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BNTI3NjRjODUtYmE1NC00MjlmLThhYTYtNzczNWRjNWJlZDMzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE3MTA1Mw@@._V1_.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 1
Thank you so much everyone! It seems like bx cable was snaked through both foundation walls but that the area was never opened. The buildings dept had a fire many years ago and the records for my home were lost. I found a photos of my home from 1940 and the exterior wall is the same as it is now. Very odd to build the wall this way. It does not appear to be a support wall because it's not actually supporting the beams. Maybe I can drill a hole for better lighting and to potentially move some of the debris around. I will keep you posted!

Upvote 0
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: NEW YORK for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - FWIW - I owned a very old home that had a fireplace on one wall. One day I had a roof leak so I climbed into the attic. While looking for roof leaks - I found an area around the fireplace that looked very similar. The space around the bricks (on 3 sides) looked just like that. I am sure a member(s) will pipe in shortly with another suggestion.
Thank you so much!

Upvote 1
Thank you so much everyone! It seems like bx cable was snaked through both foundation walls but that the area was never opened. The buildings dept had a fire many years ago and the records for my home were lost. I found a photos of my home from 1940 and the exterior wall is the same as it is now. Very odd to build the wall this way. It does not appear to be a support wall because it's not actually supporting the beams. Maybe I can drill a hole for better lighting and to potentially move some of the debris around. I will keep you posted!
How about getting some light into the area-.05 lens setting on the phone to get a larger area photo'd.
Your first photo also shows a cable for tv or phone running along side of the BX cable.

The 1st photo is good, the others are dark/blurry, and aren't much use in trying to figure out what is going on.

Note that errors are done sometimes by a contractor.
Meaning they'll lay a wall that doesn't fit with the rest of the plan.
That or the building dept. nixes the original plan, and it has to be revised for structural purposes.

(Only saying this because I have been down those roads while renovating/building a home.)

This other foundation wall could of been another room-then the owner cut back on the plans because of $$$.
So it didn't get finished.

Upvote 0
Doesn't fit younger age house is but cisterns were not uncommon longer back in time.
Another home adjacent to one I used to rent that had a cistern ha a hole through a basement wall to where a pump was isolated.
Why walled there I don't know. Support of floor?

You're picture and description seems to indicate a void below front of house. Which is cheaper than filling it with concrete would have been. Plus access below floor would be denied then.

Upvote 0
How about getting some light into the area-.05 lens setting on the phone to get a larger area photo'd.
Your first photo also shows a cable for tv or phone running along side of the BX cable.

The 1st photo is good, the others are dark/blurry, and aren't much use in trying to figure out what is going on.

Note that errors are done sometimes by a contractor.
Meaning they'll lay a wall that doesn't fit with the rest of the plan.
That or the building dept. nixes the original plan, and it has to be revised for structural purposes.

(Only saying this because I have been down those roads while renovating/building a home.)

This other foundation wall could of been another room-then the owner cut back on the plans because of $$$.
So it didn't get finished.
Great point. Thank you

Upvote 1
Doesn't fit younger age house is but cisterns were not uncommon longer back in time.
Another home adjacent to one I used to rent that had a cistern ha a hole through a basement wall to where a pump was isolated.
Why walled there I don't know. Support of floor?

You're picture and description seems to indicate a void below front of house. Which is cheaper than filling it with concrete would have been. Plus access below floor would be denied then.
Thank you

Upvote 0
I'm a bit nervous to open the wall just in case it has something to do with the structure that I am not aware of with limited vision and knowledge of the purpose. Here is something I found by using a hook to move some debris. It was covered in dirt but by moving it back and forth I was able to clear the debris off of it. This may remain an unsolved mystery!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240812-090159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240812-090159_Gallery.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back