✅ SOLVED Please Help With Eagle Button ID

Lance15t

Dec 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my first post and first relic find. I just started with my garrett ace 350 to get started and i love everything about metal detecting. I have searched several places and really cant pinpoint what i have here. I think it is a "great seal" button but i cannot find a date. Also there are no markings on the back. Most of the sites said there should be markings. I found it on my wife's family property where a old train track runs through. At the site i was off 100 yards from the track beside a old wooden shack. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks button 2.jpegbutton.jpeg

Welcome aboard. You are correct, your button looks like the great seal. The great seal was first made in 1903 and is still in use today. But I am surprised that it doesn't have a backmark. Good hunting to you.

Upvote 0
The US Army first adopted the "Great Seal of the United States" emblem on its uniform buttons in 1902. In 1910 the button's design was modified somewhat, to show the emblem on a background (or "field") of tiny horizontal lines, and include a RAISED rim encircling the button's front. Your button shows a rim but it is not raised, and the background is not lined. So, your "Great Seal" US Army button most probably dates from sometime between 1902 and 1910.

Upvote 0
thank you guys for the quick response. Good enough for me, this is SOLVED!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back