Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I finally found a button that I can't find any info on so I'm turning to the experts here on treasure net. The back reads as follows R & W Robinson * Attleborough * Extra* Rich*
I know who made it the time frame and where but what I can't figure out is the face of it which appears to me that it is a livery design with a dragon or serpent on what appears to be a crown and it is slightly larger than a quarter and gold plated. Is it military, civilian, rare, common?
Please help!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
This may help a little. From "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" he states that by 1935 the firm was R & W Robinson, and continued under this name into the 1840's and was bankrupt by the middle of the decade. He stated this was due to a change in taste of civilian buttons. I couldn't find that button and was wondering if maybe it was a civilian button.

Upvote 0
A "Cockatrice" (Terror to all that behold them) over the Crown, symbol of royalty and prestige

or,

A Phoenix rising above and from the crown?

Upvote 0
It appears to be a civilian "Livery" button, because it has what in heraldry emblems is called a Coronet, not a crown. Crowns are for royals, coronets are for the aristocracy. The number of points or balls on a coronet's top tells the rank of its owner... such as Duke, Count, or Viscount, etc.

Upvote 0
Good info on the terminology in both of the above. I wasn't able to find your button, but found a good site that shows examples of livery uniforms, which I hadn't realized were so ornate, so thought others might like: https://sites.google.com/site/liverybuttonsidentified/

Thanks for that site. Some super information and examples there. It is now in my favorites for future references.

Upvote 0
Many thanks!

It appears to be a civilian "Livery" button, because it has what in heraldry emblems is called a Coronet, not a crown. Crowns are for royals, coronets are for the aristocracy. The number of points or balls on a coronet's top tells the rank of its owner... such as Duke, Count, or Viscount, etc.

Thank you all for all of this great information and links. Can't wait to go threw some of my other finds I am not to sure of.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back