Please help me identify this metal and bead artifact that was well hidden in an ancient stone wall

ctdiggergirl

Greenie
Aug 16, 2024
I do not metal detect, however, after finding some points (as well as 17th century pottery and clay pottery shards), I found this piece hidden deep in a stone wall on my friends’ property in Litchfield county, CT. I do have the missing blue bead. I can not find anything like it anywhere. I believe it’s hammered copper. I would love some insight! Thank you! I do want to say that it was in an area populated by colonists and Native Americans.

Attachments

• IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 7
Wow, that is a cool find and story behind it. You should grab a detector and search that property. Who knows what you may find!
Thank you! I may do that, but i found so many colonial nails, I would just keep pinging lol. I really want to know what it is!!! Thanks for your response!

Is any part of it drawn to a magnet?
Can you tell what the bead is made of (glass, stone, plastic...)?

I think you have only a segment from a much longer "chain". It could be for human or equine adornment.

Thank you! I may do that, but i found so many colonial nails, I would just keep pinging lol. I really want to know what it is!!! Thanks for your response!
With many/most of today's detectors, you can filter out the (iron) nails and other trash.

I 100% agree you need to detect regardless of the nails. Be patient, clean them out and wait for the good find... I'll bet it their awaiting you lady.

Is any part of it drawn to a magnet?
Can you tell what the bead is made of (glass, stone, plastic...)?

I think you have only a segment from a much longer "chain". It could be for human or equine adornment.

With many/most of today's detectors, you can filter out the (iron) nails and other trash.
It’s not drawn to a magnet…but it’s definitely hammered copper (which is not considered magnetic). The beads are either glass or stone. I know that the Native tribes in the area have been hammering copper forever. I think the beads are glass.
And I have a friend who metal detects, but I literally have no clue how to even operate one…I’ve tried. I can find spots and I research historical maps. This was a complete surprise. It was completely hidden in a space in the stone wall. Do you have any clue who would use this as an adornment?

And thank you so much, you guys!

I 100% agree you need to detect regardless of the nails. Be patient, clean them out and wait for the good find... I'll bet it their awaiting you lady.
I will need a definite lesson. I’m not a metal detecting person. Lol

I do not metal detect, however, after finding some points (as well as 17th century pottery and clay pottery shards), I found this piece hidden deep in a stone wall on my friends’ property in Litchfield county, CT. I do have the missing blue bead. I can not find anything like it anywhere. I believe it’s hammered copper. I would love some insight! Thank you! I do want to say that it was in an area populated by colonists and Native Americans.
Nice!!! Congrats!!

Cool find for sure however it is stamped copper and not hammered. Most likely part of a bracelet.
+1.

This was a complete surprise. It was completely hidden in a space in the stone wall.
All the more reason for someone to investigate the area further with a detector; there could be more--or not.

Do you have any clue who would use this as an adornment?
Human or equine. I could see it breaking off of a longer piece, and the owner putting it in the wall for later retrieval, then forgetting or re-evaluating.

I know that the Native tribes in the area have been hammering copper forever. I think the beads are glass.
Tribes in the Southwest have been working in silver & turquoise forever, but that doesn't mean every piece you come across was made by Native Americans--or when.

If it was old and of Native American origin, I think the beads would be some type of stone rather than glass.

And I have a friend who metal detects, but I literally have no clue how to even operate one…I’ve tried.
It's not rocket surgery. You put the coil to the soil, wave it around, and when it beeps... dig there. :laughing7:
I will need a definite lesson. I’m not a metal detecting person. Lol
I don’t want to spend a ton of money on a detector when I have tried using one and don’t get it at all…and I’m a scientist lol
Why all the "dumb girl" self-deprecation? It's obvious you know how to read. If you're really a scientist, you (should) know how to follow directions, analyze data, and evaluate results.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"--Willie

Maybe part of a bracelet ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back