Please help identifying this...

azduckfan

Feb 25, 2013
AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this today at an Arizona ghost town from the late 1800's. Only two adobe structures remaining. It is brass with a cool patina and quite heavy for its size. The brass "cage" protects a thick glass that is cracked but still intact. There is a top piece that unscrews allowing access to the top of the glass portion. The bottom has threads but oddly enough, are not hollow allowing any fluid to the upper glass portion. Also, the back of the piece is flat as if it goes up up against something. I have included pics with a tape measure to give you an idea of its size. Thanks for the help. Can't wait to get your feedback. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418273983.976663.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418274001.602893.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418274022.363047.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418274033.266087.jpg

old mining hat light carbide was put in it

Really? That's very different than any carbide lamp I've ever seen. Plus it would have to function in a very different manner. Further info would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet. What you have looks like an automatic oiler, probably from a hit and miss engine? HH
BK

Attachments

• oiler.jpg
    oiler.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
Water trap from a fuel line? But I like the oil reservoir answer as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting...thanks for the feedback. Ya know, I'm not sure yet. After Broken Knee suggested the automatic oiler, I looked in to it but every one I found has a tube in the center. I'll look again when I get home, but I don't believe my find has any way for fluids to get out the bottom. The top piece does unscrew. I'll try and get another pic of it without top cap. It does have a flat back as if it mounts up against something. Look at the last pic, you'll see what I mean. Will get back later today...

Upvote 0
Possibly a connecting rod oiler. The movement of the rod would slosh oil inside the bowl and drip down into the tube.

They had to be made very rugged to handle the vibration and stress.

Oiler - Connecting Rod.jpgOiler - Connecting Rod2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please take a pic of the threaded end, it's probably corroded but I'll bet it's got a small hole in it? HH
BK

Upvote 0
Someone got to this before I did.

Looks like an automatic oiler. Elijah McCoy I invented them or one like it.

Out of curiosity I looked him up and he also invented the lawn sprinkler. Google search his name. It is interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is a very early oiler. Not just for Hit&Miss engines but any machinery of the time. There's one on top of the cylinder on the engine in my avatar. Tony
Welcome to Tnet. What you have looks like an automatic oiler, probably from a hit and miss engine? HH
BK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oddly enough the threaded end is solid from what I can tell. There is not a rod inside but I was able to shine a light through the side and put my phone camera right up to the hole on top where the top piece unscrews and take a few pics of the inside bottom. Tell me what you think....I'm leaning towards the oiler. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418352080.998392.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418352095.181893.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418352104.260477.jpg

Upvote 0
Man that would make a neat lamp or a sconce for a wall neat find for sure , oiler I believe so.vanzutphen

Upvote 0
It's probably residue. The hole is not very big. There may be a number on that lower flange, and writing on the top. The knob on top should screw out, and may be a needle valve. Looks corroded and might be stuck.
Oddly enough the threaded end is solid from what I can tell. There is not a rod inside but I was able to shine a light through the side and put my phone camera right up to the hole on top where the top piece unscrews and take a few pics of the inside bottom. Tell me what you think....I'm leaning towards the oiler. View attachment 1090728View attachment 1090729View attachment 1090730

Upvote 0
Awesome feedback, guys. Thanks so much. Thinking about cleaning with electrolysis...what do you think?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back