Please help ID this possible Oldie coin!

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I was hunting in a park this weekend. At the front of the park is an old Meeting House which dates to the mid 1700's. I found this coin about 100 feet from the meeting house. The coin was only at about 3" deep.

When I first dug this coin, I really couldn't see anything on it, and thought I had some kind of electrical box slug. Went home, and started cleaning it. After a day of cleaning, when I looked at it again, I could suddenly see what looked like a bust. That is when I got excited.

HELP! I've looked through my coin books, and there certainly are a few coins that it could be, but I'd love your opinion. I of course searched the American coins, but perhaps someone will identify it as a foreign coin instead.

Here are the details of the coin.

1. Found at about 3". Showed up as COIN on my Bounty Hunter (which is usually silver or copper).
2. Diameter of the coin is 28.9mm.
3. Weight - I don't have an accurate scale to measure it.
4. The back of the coin is entirely corroded. I will include picture, but I can't see a darn thing.

What do you see? What do you think? Please help! I would LOVE to think I found an oldie!

Here are the pics.

Pic 1. The coin as scanned.
Old Coin Front - Hi Re - Compresseds.jpg

Pic 2. I drew some lines on it to what I THINK I can see.
Old Coin Front - Hi Re - Compresseds - Marked Up.JPG

Pic 3. The back of the coin.
Old Coin Back - Hi Res - Compressed.jpg

Hey Vermont!

Thanks for your quick response! I thought the same thing.. but when I looked at the Diameter of the Draped Bust, I see that they list it at about 28mm... this one is almost 29mm. ?? Could be though! Thanks for your thoughts!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back