✅ SOLVED Please help ID this item, found in Lake Michigan.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Attachments

• IMG_3288.png
    IMG_3288.png
    567.5 KB · Views: 130
What gives? Found in Lake Michigan you say?

It seems to be this wine bottle seal found on a plantation in Virginia. Same seal and same picture (including identical damage marks)!!!

View attachment 2166424
Same shadow and background too...

Upvote 2
What gives? Found in Lake Michigan you say?

It seems to be this wine bottle seal found on a plantation in Virginia. Same seal and same picture (including identical damage marks)!!!

View attachment 2166424
What the heck. Yep buddy found it metal detecting in the water. How in the world is that possible? Found a Princess Pat ladies compact from 1910 in the water too after some storms rolled through. Crazy. Is that seriously a wine bottle seal? I guess so. Maybe some bottles made it to the Midwest on ships or something. Hmmmm. Thanks for the info. Jgas.

Upvote 2
What the heck. Yep buddy found it metal detecting in the water. How in the world is that possible? Found a Princess Pat ladies compact from 1910 in the water too after some storms rolled through. Crazy. Is that seriously a wine bottle seal? I guess so. Maybe some bottles made it to the Midwest on ships or something. Hmmmm. Thanks for the info. Jgas.
More info: The picture is most likely the one you guys posted. I was searching for him to see if anyone recognized it. So he must have given me that photo. I am trying to get the photo of the one he actually found in the water there. More to come but sorry for the confusion on this one. I hope he sends me his actual find photo. More to come. Thanks again all. Jgas.

Upvote 4
Any idea what this is or stands for? Found in Lake Michigan. Thanks. Jgas.
Okay whew, after speaking to my buddy he had mistakenly sent me the wrong picture. Ha. Goofball. So now I’ve attached what he found in the lake. Maybe you guys could help with this though too. Sorry for the darn confusion. Please forgive me. Any help with this one would be appreciated as well. Jgas.

Attachments

• IMG_3295.png
    IMG_3295.png
    799.1 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 6
Okay whew, after speaking to my buddy he had mistakenly sent me the wrong picture. Ha. Goofball. So now I’ve attached what he found in the lake. Maybe you guys could help with this though too. Sorry for the darn confusion. Please forgive me. Any help with this one would be appreciated as well. Jgas.
It looks like it could be U.D. co. whatever that might stand for.

Upvote 3
No worries as it happens on dating sites quite often also we hear about.🤣

Upvote 1
United Drug Company maybe????

No worries on the mix-up. Easily done.

Yes, I think the actual item your friend found is the cap and broken shoulders from a metal tube of the kind used to hold ointments and lotions. There looks to be a seam separating the two parts, so I would guess the cap pulls off or unscrews.

Seam.jpg

The lettering style of the monogram looks to be late 19th or early 20th Century and I read it as UDCo. Although never registered as a trademark in the US, I think it is for the United Drug Company, founded in Boston in 1902 and sold to Walgreens in 1943.

The company made all manner of pharmaceuticals, including ointments in squeezable tubes, selling through ‘Rexall’ stores throughout the US and often under the ‘Puretest’ brand. They later had a Canadian arm based in Toronto.

Here’s one of their Canadian ‘Eudicaine’ ointment tubes. It’s a later product with a non-metal cap but I think that’s essentially the same monogram on it. Frustratingly, the cap isn’t shown in plan-view.

UDCO.jpg

Upvote 8
ITs a merchants seal.
Returning to this i saw i was off in my post for i was commenting on the ops original picture with this above.
After seeing other posts now i saw that the original picture was a screwup.

So... with all this babble and with the new picture...
I secondary / agree with RedCoats assessments on the new pictured item.

(just to get it straightened)

Upvote 4
No worries on the mix-up. Easily done.

Yes, I think the actual item your friend found is the cap and broken shoulders from a metal tube of the kind used to hold ointments and lotions. There looks to be a seam separating the two parts, so I would guess the cap pulls off or unscrews.

View attachment 2166517

The lettering style of the monogram looks to be late 19th or early 20th Century and I read it as UDCo. Although never registered as a trademark in the US, I think it is for the United Drug Company, founded in Boston in 1902 and sold to Walgreens in 1943.

The company made all manner of pharmaceuticals, including ointments in squeezable tubes, selling through ‘Rexall’ stores throughout the US and often under the ‘Puretest’ brand. They later had a Canadian arm based in Toronto.

Here’s one of their Canadian ‘Eudicaine’ ointment tubes. It’s a later product with a non-metal cap but I think that’s essentially the same monogram on it. Frustratingly, the cap isn’t shown in plan-view.

View attachment 2166518
Fantastic info Red Coat. I as well as my buddy appreciate it. Thanks and sorry again for the original confusion. I guess I better go out in the water and find an actual wine seal. lol. Jgas

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back