Please date this ring, style and metal.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I found this last night at one of the worked out lots that I've been working. It came out of the same area that I found two barber dimes that date 1903 and 1906.

It came out of the ground almost as you see it, except that I cleaned it with tap water. I think it's made out of thick gold leaf that's burnished onto brass or copper.

I think it's has a Native American design to it but I'm only guessing.

HH

Attachments

• RIng Age and Style.JPG
    RIng Age and Style.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 402
  • RIng Age and Style 2.JPG
    RIng Age and Style 2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 401
Early version of a costume ring. I would guess late 1800's. Nice shape for one that was gold plated. Good find! Don't think it Indian design, just decorative. Ive seen them before. On the bottom end of the early stuff, most of the time crudely made or fashioned..
DG

Upvote 0
dg39 said:
Early version of a costume ring. I would guess late 1800's. Nice shape for one that was gold plated. Good find! Don't think it Indian design, just decorative. Ive seen them before. On the bottom end of the early stuff, most of the time crudely made or fashioned..
DG

Thanks DG, you described it to the tee, that's exactly what I needed. Now I'm still looking for the old solid one. I almost find a ring in every lot I hunt, still a lot out there.

Hey, you're one of the top ID'er on t-net.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
plated or possibly early gold fill. Not an expensive ring, costume is most likely, the open end to size for anyone. The pattern is just for pattern, Indian jewelry designs traditionally were never done in gold as gold is sacred, a part of the sun, or tear from the sun. Defiantly a no no to work with.

The other possibility is just a straight bronze. the copper can leach out at the surface leaving a yellowed tin looking like gold or a gold plate, but just bronze. With out testing it and seeing it in person its hard to tell, either way, cool find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back