Plan "B"

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we got shut out on our plan "A" due to fog, wind and ocean swell so we hit up an 18 century British Naval ship, I managed a few scant sheathing nails, ZDJohn got into a pile of musket balls, he must have brought up around 40 loose and 2 small clumps that will make nice display pieces. ZDSteve got a cannon mortar, we new it was hollow by the weight of it but when I started to clean it up for electrolysis I noticed that it still had the plug in it. Now I have to remove the wooden plug to ensure there is no powder in it but can anyone tell me how to do this with out letting it dry out or distroying the plug?
Sorry I didn't get any pix of the Musket balls but I will try.
ZDD

Attachments

• 20130602_Steves mortar..jpg
    20130602_Steves mortar..jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 101
Well we got shut out on our plan "A" due to fog, wind and ocean swell so we hit up an 18 century British Naval ship, I managed a few scant sheathing nails, ZDJohn got into a pile of musket balls, he must have brought up around 40 loose and 2 small clumps that will make nice display pieces. ZDSteve got a cannon mortar, we new it was hollow by the weight of it but when I started to clean it up for electrolysis I noticed that it still had the plug in it. Now I have to remove the wooden plug to ensure there is no powder in it but can anyone tell me how to do this with out letting it dry out or distroying the plug?
Sorry I didn't get any pix of the Musket balls but I will try.
ZDD

Pretty nice plan "B" !!! Any idea of the identity of the ship?

ZDD,

if it starts hissing, well, you know what that means...

soak it in fresh water to start..

See if you can find a local mobile veterinarian. They have the mobile x-rays which are about the most powerful. An xray plate is about $15 and the cost to develop (vet may even be digital)

X-ray the thing, it should tell you if it is hollow or not....

Good luck...

After a good soak, it will likely fill with water.Perhaps the old, "dont have a corksrew technique" may get the plug out without damage...

(smak it with a 2x4 and the hydraulic action drives out the cork) look it up on Utube...

Last edited:
Thanks Mate, I will be very carefull
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back