plain coin button w/ eagle & anchor on back

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC02351.JPG
    DSC02351.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC02352.JPG
    DSC02352.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC02353.JPG
    DSC02353.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0
Your button is shown in the Albert button-book as button NA-75B. It was originally manufactured as a US Navy button, but apparently the Navy canceled the order for them with the manufacturer, so the manufacturer "recycled" them. That was done by transferring the loop from the front to the back, and then selling them to the civilian public as plain flat-buttons. My guess is that the cancellation was due to the Navy's 1830 change of its prescribed buttons from an eagle with a shield-&-anchor on its wing to an eagle standing atop an anchor.

Upvote 0
Your button is shown in the Albert button-book as button NA-75B. It was originally manufactured as a US Navy button, but apparently the Navy canceled the order for them with the manufacturer, so the manufacturer "recycled" them. That was done by transferring the loop from the front to the back, and then selling them to the civilian public as plain flat-buttons. My guess is that the cancellation was due to the Navy's 1830 change of its prescribed buttons from an eagle with a shield-&-anchor on its wing to an eagle standing atop an anchor.
So it is just fashion swag ca 19oo's:laughing9:

Upvote 0
1900s??? Please note that I said "due to the Navy's 1830 change." In my opinion, your 1-piece brass flat-button was manufactured in late-1829 or early 1830, and got transformed (later in 1830) by its manufacturer for sale as a civilian button after the US Navy announced its decision to stop using the eagle-with-shield-on-wing emblem. (See historical information about that on page 86 of the Albert button-book.)

Upvote 0
1900s??? Please note that I said "due to the Navy's 1830 change." In my opinion, your 1-piece brass flat-button was manufactured in late-1829 or early 1830, and got transformed (later in 1830) by its manufacturer for sale as a civilian button after the US Navy announced its decision to stop using the eagle-with-shield-on-wing emblem. (See historical information about that on page 86 of the Albert button-book.)

Sorry, I meant to key 19th century.
TB

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back